inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Edge Saltwater

ajay88

Holy crap! Yea, that's rigged...lol. The only other problem that my mother had with those tanks is there was certain areas that just wasn't getting enough light. On a regular tank, you can spread the light over the whole top, but with the Fluval Edge you only have that certain area for it to go through. My concern's for the tank would be algae growing on the extreme ends there and poor water flow. Speaking about that, what type of water movement you have in there? Not sure a Koralia Nano would work in those tanks...lol.

Like I said, it's making me curious with these tanks and how you guys work through the probs it creates. Now, I would have gotten the Fluval Ebi for a small nano tank instead of the Edge, since you don't have to worry about the small hole at the top of the tank. and can light the whole thing with a clamp on MH like the Viper. But, there's still that prob with water movement. In my experience with FW tanks, the hanging filter doesn't provide enough movement.

I have a Vortech MP-10 for water movement. Works Great, especially since its a small tank... :D

This is my temporary lighting set-up...2 50/50 PC; 2 7k mr11 LED's, 2 moonlights. I know is ghetto-rigged, I'm waiting on LED's so I can Have it look something like thisCustom Fluval Edge Lights.

It was a little too pricey for me, so i'm building it for a quarter of the price.

It's well known that DIY projects can be done less expensively, but I really doubt most DIY customers are ending up with the same product. I've heard it all before. "Why is their stuff so expensive?" "I can build the same thing for less." If you can build it for 1/4 the price, I'd love to know where you end up getting you parts and have the aluminum machined for you to the same level :D Before we started milling out our own heatsinks we got several quotes from other machine shops that wanted quadruple what we're selling them for now that we make them ourselves. That means we would've had to charge $250+ for our existing heatsinks. The same theory can be applied towards our other parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't build a solid fixture, but I do think that sometimes it is not fully understood what exactly it takes to replicate our product(s). And, believe me, we're not making a killing on our stuff like I think sometimes people might imagine. We're actually pretty competitive when you compare apples to apples.

And I'm sure not everyone has experience doing electrical wiring and soddering of wires, etc. I sure don't have that experience. It's frustrating, but at the same time I'd rather have it build by those who knows how to do it for I wouldn't want a fire happening.

It's well known that DIY projects can be done less expensively, but I really doubt most DIY customers are ending up with the same product. I've heard it all before. "Why is their stuff so expensive?" "I can build the same thing for less." If you can build it for 1/4 the price, I'd love to know where you end up getting you parts and have the aluminum machined for you to the same level :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't build a solid fixture, but I do think that sometimes it is not fully understood what exactly it takes to replicate our product(s).

Im using a spare PC Power supply to drive all my lights. I have approximately 19 Cree Stars at around 3 watts each (57 Watts), a also have 25 supplemental 9000K Cool White LED's (i don't know how many I will use, they are 2 watts each). the aluminum heatsink I ordered is going to be cut by a computer by a friend of mine.Im working on the plexiglass cover. All the wiring will go to a terminal that Ill make that has switched to tun on and off different sets of lights with a dimmer on each. in the future I am going to incorporate a micro-controller(an Arduino) to control the lights and fan based on the time of day. I'm still working on the code so that might not be for a while. The best part is that since all the LED's are low voltage and I have a considerable amount of experience in LED lighting and electrical applications, i feel confident enough that I wont electrify my fish.

All that said and aside... Can someone tell me whats going on with my galaxy coral?

my Parameters: 4/14/11

(this is based off memory, the app on my phone didn't save the most recent parameters)

Temp 77.7

Ammonia: 0

Nitrates: 0

Nitrites:0

Phosphates:0

pH :8.0 (i noticed the pH drop and I raised it. this morning I checked, 8.3)

Calcium:500

Salinity: 1.024

KH: 8dKH ( I fixed that too, its around 11KH)

post-65491-1302886698_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking about getting an AC70 and an Intank Media masket and setting up a fuge instead of my stock HOB. Im not sure if it would fit.. Does anyone have any experience with this filter in the Edge?

I'm thinking about getting an AC70 and an Intank Media masket and setting up a fuge instead of my stock HOB. Im not sure if it would fit.. Does anyone have any experience with this filter in the Edge?

I have read the AC50 fits with a very small modification of the back compartment but I doubt an AC70 would work.

I have read the AC50 fits with a very small modification of the back compartment but I doubt an AC70 would work.

I should have done a little more research before asking... I was able to find out a minute after posting the question.

Ill see what I can do with the AC50!

Thanks for your help...

can i get a bump on the galaxy?

Im really worried that It might be dying...

top view

I moved my coral and put in on one of my rocks.

I read around that if it gets worse, I should move it to medium light, medium flow.

Any help??!!?

post-65491-1303075424_thumb.jpg

post-65491-1303075491_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

**UPDATED PIC**

Just an update on my tank...

waiting for inTank to make a media-basket for an AC50 I got.( I preemptively bought chateo,so no the bag has holes in it and its in the display).

Stock:

Bangai Cardinal fish

Purple Firefish

scooter blenny

Derasa clam

various hermits

various snails

sexy shrimp

Coral:

Red brain coral

green brain coral

leather toadstool

green jewel coral

whisker coral

ultra zoas (i think)

different zoas

green/blue mushroom

candycane coral

galaxie coral

Blastomussa coral

borealis acro

nepetha tree

pom-pom xenia

pulsing xena

sorry if I did a horrible job spelling.

Let me know about how I have things placed/if i should move some of my coral...

I'm open to any suggestions.

post-65491-1307661884_thumb.jpg

Archived