Pod Your Reef

Thoughts on lighting system, the more oppinions the better

Hinecken

Last week I posted a thread "odd tank, confusing pc lighting" and got some great replies. My original idea was to light my tank (a 30 gallon breeder 36Lx18wx13h) with two 55watt power compact fixtures due to it's shallow depth. I have recently re-thought my idea because I'm not following my own rule of thumb of 6 watts per gallon on a reef. As I have read many posts and have looked at many members' reefs, they too are following this theory with most 10 gallons using a 2x32 pc system. My new thought was to use 2x96 fixture thus giving me 192 total watts of light. Tonight I found a site.. www.aquaticlight.com ..with such an attractive deal I need some opinions on the new lighting option. This site offers a metal halide retro kit for 154.00 including the bulb (175watt 12000k). Since I have never used a metal halide system, I do not know much about it. This setup will give me just under 6 watts/gal. My questions are these....

1. Due to the intense heat and light output these bulbs produce, will I "cook" my rock and corals?

2. Is this light alone enough actinic?

3. Since this light is of less wattage than the 2x96 option I was going to use, will it use less power...(i.e. easier on the wallet when the electric bill comes) ?

4. If this light does not "cook" my rock or corals, will I experiance a much more intense algae bloom?

5. What would you do in my situation?

Any information at all will be of tremedous help. I'm quite the patient person when it comes to setting up a tank and I can not tollerate, or afford, purchasing incorrect equipment that must then be replaced.

You'll need to buy a reflector with that too.

MH bulbs are suppost to be only good for a 2x2 area so I recommend either two of these or one and a 96w PC. What is it you plan on keeping?

1. Your corals wont cook if you acclimate them properly

2. That light can be used with out actinic

3. I believe so, MH is the most effecient light source for aquariums I believe. Although if you want two it'll cost more.

4. I think you should :

-get two of those 12k retros if you want sps

-get the 2x96 watt PC's if you want softies and lps

What do you think about keeping the 12000k and getting a 96watt smartlamp?

BTW.....thanks for the reply, like I said, any information on this is much appreciated.

if you do that..wouldn't you be spending more money? i think 2 x 96W Pc is way more than enough for your 30 gallon breeder tank..the sps will do fine under the PCs since your tank is really shallow..just keep the sps on the top and the softies on the middle and bottom...

If you want to buy the 2x96W..i have an offer for you...I have a 1-2 month old (only on 10 hours/day) JBJ Delux 2 x96W PC..with 2 built in fans and seperate on/off buttons for each light and fan so you will have the dusk/dawn effect..it is a great light..i am using it for my 40 gallon with some sps and they do well...my xenias are spreading like mad and my leather has grown almst an inch since i used it..i will sell it to you $200 SHIPPED!!! that is a steal..since those lights is over $300 new..i bought it for $310 plus tax (i still have the original box and warranty papers)

the reason i am selling this is because i just started a 55 gallon tank and using a 250W MH on one side and 2x55W PC on the other side...plus 2 35W 48" Actinic 03 NOs...and i will trasfer everything from the 40 to the 55 and sell my 40 gallon.

if you are interested..let me know

NanoReefer53

If you're referring to the 12k sunburst, just to let u know they have been proven to lack intensity. If u decide to go with them, go with 250w at least.

Just my 2 cents...

Why not order 2 sets of the 2X36 W PC's from www.petsupplyliquidator.com ? That would be about 5 watts per gallon if I figured it out right. I think you could actually fit 3-4 sets of these over your tank. 3 sets or 6 total 36 W lights would be over 7 watts per gallon. That would cost 120.00 plus shipping, which should be under 20.00.

I can't comment on their lights yet, as I just ordered mine.

HTH

Archived