Top Shelf Aquatics

Should I Use A Glass Cover

rperrice

I'm upgrading from a 7gal minibow with a hood to a 20 gallon with CSL 2X65W PC lights. I plan to use mounting legs with the light fixture so it will sit a few inches above the water. Should I invest in a glass cover or just leave open?

Most of the similar tanks I see appear to be open. I'm worried that if I use the cover, the glass will get too hot, however without a cover there might be a lot of evaporation.

For what it's worth I have the CSL 2x40 with legs over my 10g with glass lid. I like the glass lid.

The water temp doesn't over heat (so far, only 3 months old) stays between 79-81. The glass doesn't get hot at all. I think because little water beads form on the under side of it and keeps it cooler. The glass lid itself prevents a lot of evaporation which means less top off.

Looks like a similar posting is on the general discussion board. I think I'll go with a glass cover. I have young kids and I would not want any foreign objects thrown into the tank. Plus there will be some open space for the power filter and possible skimmer which will provide decent gas exchange.

Archived