Cultivated Reef

38W enough light for 20g?

blackwater

I recently made a trip to my LFS to get some new fluorescent lighting for my 2" 20g tank.

I would like to start keeping some corals etc.. no clams or anything too difficult.

I've heard that about 5W per gallon gives you a good amount of light, so this means I should be using approx. 100W right?

Well, I took their advice and bought one 18W Coralife Actinic tube and one white 20W tube. This only gives me 38W!

Is this enough light to keep corals? I'm thinking of placing my old single-tube light on top of the tank as well to get an extra 20W, but not sure if I should just invest in better lighting.

Also, is it ok to buy some higher rated tubes and use them in the existing housing (what's it called?) or will it probably not handle them? I hope I'm making sense here. :)

Any advice would be great! Thanks.

invest in better lighting........ 38 watts probably wont cut it, especially for a 20 gallon (especially if its a 20 high). Lighting is one of the most important aspects of a good reef tank....dont skimp...and a good rule of thumb...dont listen to anyone at your lfs.

oh, dont try to run bulbs that are rated for a higher wattage than your fixture is capable of, that could result in a fire. higher wattage bulbs require the use of a ballast rated for the bulbs in question.

You might want to consider compact fluros. There are many mail order places in Australia that sell them. oceanarium.com.au & aquaria.com.au.

AnthonyNguyen

20 G long or tall? i has a 20 G Long, and i has flourcences 1- 96 W+1 blue antitics with 96 W. so u might wanna upgrade your lighting to keep coral

Normal output fluorescent lighting is insufficient to keep most photosynthetic corals. Try a CSL moonlight, Coralife striplight, or a DIY kit for a canopy. I'd put at least 60 watts of light from compact fluorescent bulbs and preferably 120 watts.

I'm actully going to be in the same boat also (using a 20 tall). I was going to end up getting the VHO retro kit from Hello Lights, but don't know if I should get 2 10,000k bulbs or 2 50/50.

Archived