inTank Media Baskets

What are these white things?

sschuler

I came home today to find thousands of tiny larvae looking things crawling and jumping on the sides of my tank. I put one under a microscope and they have two sections, a head and abdomen. they have swimming legs and two branching antennae. Any ideas?

Moderator Note: moved.

I have had pods in my tank for a while, and these do not look like them at all. These are tiny. Less than 1mm. And there are sh*tloads of them.

do you have nassarius (sp?) snails or do you see tiny egg sacs on the glass with several small pinpoint sized eggs inside?

I see by your description that you do! they are nass. larvae!

I started with nass snails and got these shortly after adding them.

you are reefing right, things are breeding, sit back and enjoy:D

I do have nassarius. These are not sacs. Under the microscope, they appear to be larvae. I guess they could be nassarius babies. DAMN! there are a ton of them. Anyone need any when they get older? ;-)

the sacs are where they come from, you may not see them behind rock work etc.. you will someday tho. Then when they hatch they look like what you described. I just broke my 10 gal down and moved to a 20H and there are 100's or more on my glass. I wish I could have transfered them but they are tiny little buggers...where's my net? :)

my yellow watchman goby snacks on them all day. I would guess most gobies and probably a perc would take a stab. I see them free swimming in my tank also so corals would snack as well.

Good luck, sounds like you have a maturing system that is doing well. :)

pods come in many shapes and sizes. pretty much all tiny crustaceans in yer tank can be called pods... AHAH. don't worry bout 'em. they're a good thing.

That's a pod. Nope. These have defined body sections. Let's say you have an ant, then you cut off its tail section. That's what I have, except they are <1mm and white/tanish. Same colors as pods.

Archived