Innovative Marine Aquariums

brown algae after 2 weeks?

derekschwabe

derekschwabe

I am new to the websight and to Nano reef keeping. So far it has been a blast and this websight has helped me alot! I have just started my first, 10 gallon, nano-reef. It has been up and running for about two weeks now, and is still cycling. A few days after putting my live rock in the tank, brown algae started growing on it. It has grown rapidly since then and has gotten so bad, that I can bearly see the rock at all. Is this normal? Should I introduce my cleaning crew this early? If you could give me some advice, that would be great. Thanks guys!

Yep. Keep reading in the FAQ's and in the message boards.

You probably should have introduced the cleaning crew just as soon as you put the LR in the tank. The snails will do a good job of eating the diatom algae bloom, and it will gradually crash as silicates are burned up from the seawater. Make sure that you use distilled or RO water in your tanks to prevent reintroducing silicates into the tank. Silicates and phosphates, two key ingredients for problematic microalgaes, are often found in abundance in tap water.

Good luck, introduce your reef janitors now (snails, hermit crabs, etc.) and we'll see you around ;)

discusking86

Add some macroalgae, it will take care of the ammonia and nitrates your new tank is having problems with. The best way to deal with algae is to limit nutrients. So use a more desirable alage to do the same things the brown algae is doing now. good luck:)

IMO you shouldn't add critters until AFTER the ammonia spike has dissapated (sp?). Otherwise you're likely to end up with a dead clean-up crew. If you decide to go ahead and add them then be sure to acclimate them slowly. Snails in a particular are sensitive to salinity and pH changes.

derekschwabe

I got two turbo snails and five small hermit crabs and they are tearing the algae apart! My ammonia is pretty good as of now, so i think the spike has passed. Thanks again for your help.

Turbo snails do a dramatic job against brown algae but just remember they are about as powerful a bulldozer as can be added to your tank and they are quite capable of knocking anything and everything down. So my advise is, when you start adding corals to your tank secure them well or the snails may decide to redecorate.

Archived