Pod Your Reef

29g live rock weight?

ringwurm

I have an All-Glass 29G aquarium (30x12x18) and I'm wondering how much weight the glass can support? How much live rock/sand can I expect it to safely hold?

At one point, I had about 2" of sand and about 66lb of LR in my 29.

Too much stinkin rock!

I sold off some of the bigger chunks, moved a few more to my sumpfugium, and viola! what looks about right:

Cured or uncured? LFS's will probably charge you about $8 per pound for cured LR. I've gotten some fantastic LR recently from Dr. Mac's corals (www.drmaccorals.com). It's Kaelini tonga LR and his starts at $2.99 for uncured rock, $3.49 for partially cured rock (sitting in a holding tank for a week or two) and $5.99 a lb. for fully cured rock.

It's really excellent LR with lots of unique shapes, caves, convexes and curves. Each piece of it is amazing. Mine came covered in porites, multicolored algaes, macroalgaes (lots of halimeda), bright encrusting sponges and all kinds of stuff. He's got great pictures of it on his website under the LR section.

He ships FOB freight or fedex overnight on his LR depending if it's cured or not, and he hand picks all of his rock for you himself. Just tell him what you want and what sized tank and prepare to be impressed.

Originally posted by smythie14s

Question? How much should the normal Fiji piece of 5 lb LR cost??

Don't know about anyone else, I got my LR for $2.50/lb at Jeff's in LA (www.exoticfish.com) They were selling it out of the box for $2.75/lb too if you don't need a box' worth.

Mike

Archived