inTank Media Baskets

Dinoflagellates or Calothrix

mkizz

or could be hair algae too, but mine looks brown hairy, also has air bubbles on them. My nerite snail seems to lawn mower that thing, I would sometiems place nerite on the rock that im having the most problem with, i have so many algae on that rock, I can see the trail where the snail ran off to withought not even needing to look closly, suprisingly its trail is crystal clear lol

Anyway pictures coming soon, and any advice on what I can do to get rid of them?

edit: also i have diatom problems on sand too

Magiksurfman

how old is your setup? diatoms usually only come about during or shortly after initial setup unless your bulbs are old or having natural daylight hit your tank ... can also cause cyano.... or if your overdose something like iron or iodine but hard to tell without a little more info or pics diatoms usually grow until they starve them selfs out so they're only temporary so long as you don't give em more food you top off and saltwater if you mix it should be with RO water. hair algae ... nerites are good at mowing it down but the guys are so tiny they might not be able to keep up unless you got a good herd of em, turbo snails make short work of it but it will just keep them well fed unless you take care of the cause of the problem. overfeeding, bad water quality insufficient filtration the list goes on shots in the dark need more info . algae isn't all bad, it has many benefits but in this case you can bump up your filtration by adding a fuge and growing chaeto (its easy to trim and grow) trimming it down to export phosphates and nitrates. Pretty much using up all of the hair algae food. hair algae doesn't like high magnesium levels and chances are if yours might be running low hard to tell without a test but if they're low raising them can help. If you can keep the proper environment and food for anything in your tank it will grow. that goes for the good the bad and the ugly. Stay on top of your water - Do your water changes and if your clean up crew is a little low help em out by vacuuming your sand bed with your water changes Mind your light and feed only what you want to keep in your tank.

johnmaloney

sounds a lot more like a calothrix type of cyano... especially if the nerite is particularly fond of it. treatment is pretty much the same as with red slime types of cyano, except that current no matter how strong is unlikely to do much.

johnmaloney

could be hair algae with cyano on it, but if after the hairy algae is cleaned off manually it looks the same or is already cleaned then it is a pretty strong candidate for being some type of cyano algae, and perhaps a member of the calothrix genus. would be lying though if i said you can make a 100% positive id from a picture though, it requires magnification at the least.

i see, i started 4 days light off process, todays the beginning of 2nd day..I hope my corals can pull through all the dino and light off process

Archived