Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

confusion regarding equipment PH vs Pump

Mutton Mogul

Mutton Mogul

Lo' Folks. I've been a lurker here for about a week or two... just browsing around and reading. (spongelike info gathering mode).

I am currently confudl'd.

Many users say they are using "MiniJet PHs" or, more specifically, "MiniJet 404 PHs"...

From poking around, those appear to be pumps, and not powerheads. The powerhead from AC is #402... am I missing something here?

Perhaps some of you are using the pumps in a refuge or sump... which I understand... but I'm not too clear as to how you are using the Mini/MicroJet pumps as powerheads?

I just don't see how so many people could be confusing the pumps as powerheads.

My head hurts now. :)

Mini-jet and maxi-jets are indeed powerheads, and powerheads are simply totally submersible water pumps. That's what people use them for, to blow streams of water around their aquariums. Powerheads are extremely versatile pumps that can be used for all sorts of applications, but the only difference between a powerhead and a larger external pump is that the powerheads are safely and completely enclosed, making them totally submersible underwater.

Don't pay attention to the model number (hagen 802's, Maxi-jet M400, etc.) as they really don't tell you much, other than the make and model. It's misleading as many people buy a powerhead thinking the model number is the G.P.H. rating, which isn't the case.

What's most important is their flow rate, which is usually stated in gallons per hour. The usual rule is to get pumps for your tank that are rated at 10 tank volumes per hour. So, if you have 20 gallons of water, you want a powerhead rated as close to 200 g.p.h. as you can. Do the math for different water volumes ;)

Hope that clears it up.

Mutton Mogul

Much thanks Aiptasia.

I will keep on poking around and read up more on the different things people are doing with the different types of equipment/setups.

i think the term 'powerhead' specifically came about from the UGF systems. they're all pumps like aipt notes but i believe the term 'powerheads' are specific to pumps that have intakes that can fit those ugf riser tubes.

it's almost synonymous nowadays tho.

not all water pumps can be externally used, not all water pumps can be internally used either, but some can be both. 8) hth

Actually the term powerhead did indeed come from Hagen Aquaclear Powerheads. They were one of the first ones to hit the market in a big way and ever since powerhead has simply become a generic term for fully submersible pumps.

Mutton Mogul

This clears things up considerably.

Hopefully other noobs will find this info useful. :)

Thanks folks.

Archived