Pod Your Reef

Water is Cloudy (or dusty) after mixing salt

androidx1

Hi All.........

I am starting a new (used) RSM130 tank. have an RO unit that I just purchased and calibrated per the instructions from spectrapure. I tested the water comming out of the RO unit and its at 0TDS. I also ran the RO for about an hour prior to using any of the water out of it..........

Saturday, I ran the RO outlet tube to the tank to fill it up (tank is bare nothing is in it). It finally finished filling the tank on sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon, I added 1/2 cup per gallon of Tropic Marin salt to the tank (I added the salt about two cups at a time over about 15 minuts), and it got pretty cloudy. I assumed it would clear up, but I am finding that still today 24hrs after adding the salt that the water is still cloudy due to many white particles floating in the water. I am assuming this is calcium that has come out of solution or couldnt desolve. I tested the sp gravity last night and measured just a tiny bit over 1.025.

Did I do something wrong or is this normal?? Should I have added the salt more slowly?

Should I empty the tank and start over???

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Yes...sorry forgot to mention that i ahve two power heads running in the tank......after filling the tank with ro water, i installed both power heads which are the ones that come with the red sea max 130. Went home at lunch and it is still cloudy or snowy looking. I added some floss to see if it will pick up the particulate floating in the tank.......im just wondering if i should use this water or start over

That's weird... When I mix water it usually goes away after about 24 hours. Not crystal clear but definitely not "dusty" either (just cloudy and slightly opaque without any big visible particles). Check again later this evening and see what it's looking like.

jnelson....Thanks for the reply......

well......there is still a snow storm in my tank....it has cleared a bit....I put some floss in the "inTank" media basket....this might be helping......

Along with the white dust circulating in my tank, it has also accumulated on the bottom of the tank in a couple of spots. Also, where the flow from the power heads is hitting the front of the glass, I can see a slight build up of powder (on the glass) its slight, but its there. I ran my finger across it and it came off.......

Im wondering if I should turn the pumps off maybe tomorrow, and let it settle out...maybe then I can just siphone off the bottom to get the powder.....I may also try test mixing a gallon or so in a bucket with a power head to see if I get the same results.

Im struggling with a decisionion to empty the tank and start over or just keep waiting....

I just hope this salt is not a bad batch or something.....not to familiar with this saltwater thing...so not sure how common it is to get a bad batch.......or even if it happens at all......

Checked the parameters a little bit ago:

Sp gravity = 1.025

Calcium 460

I still think this is calcium floating in the tank that wont disolve for some reason......

PS....The particles are for the most part pretty small say like a grain of sand or even smaller...when you shine a flashlight into the darkened tank, you can see all the particles swirling around.

Prior to adding the salt, the water was crystal clear. Infact i was commenting to my wife how I thought the RO/DI water I put in the tank was much more clear than say tap water.......

No big deal. Sometimes the calcium will bind with the carbonate if the magnesium level in your salt mix is low and precipitate put in the form of what looks like sand or dust. It'll take a few days to dissolve out. Filter floss will help.

Matt,

Thanks for the response!!! Your making me feel much better about things........

so if the magnezium levels are low...is that a problem? should I take the salt back to the fish shop? or just stick with it.....

Thanks again for your advice!!!!

Mike

I wouldn't worry about it this early. Once you start stocking a bunch of LPS and SPS, you may want to take a look at it, but until then, focus on keeping your salinity, temperature and alk stable.

Thanks Matt!!

Took a peek at the tank this am and it looks much clearer...not sure if its because the floss that I added or because the particles are finally disolving........anyway...looking much better.......

Thanks for the hep!!!!

Mike

reefernomad

I would reccomend mixing all of your saltwater in bins or buckets before adding it to the tank. This way you won't end up with any undissolved salt in the tank. A rubbermaid storage or garbage bin works great.

I would reccomend mixing all of your saltwater in bins or buckets before adding it to the tank. This way you won't end up with any undissolved salt in the tank. A rubbermaid storage or garbage bin works great.

+1

We have a set up in our basement where we mix the water and salt the night before a water change and let is sit with a power head to circulate and heater to raise the temp for the the water change.

Thanks for all the responses and advice....it is much appreciated....In the future for waterchanges, etc. I will obviously make sure to mix it in a container for a day or two prior to adding to tank.

Tank is looking pretty clear now...had to scrub the bottom and sides though to get the settled calcium off. it sure hardens up pretty quickly especially on the bottom.....but I got most of it...so Im good to go.

Hope to be getting the live rock tomorrow.

+1

We have a set up in our basement where we mix the water and salt the night before a water change and let is sit with a power head to circulate and heater to raise the temp for the the water change.

Archived