Beam Spread

Base Medium (Base Types)

` Class and Filament

Diameter (in) 2.8

Length (in) 7

Finish Daylight

CRI 84

Color Temperature (Kelvin) 5100K

Would 2 of these worlk well for a 30 gallon?

I also saw these, but it says not for Recessed or Enclosed Fixtures...

Light Output 5,500 Lumens

Energy Used 85 Watts

Life 10,000 Avg. Hours

Volts 120 Volts

Bulb Shape Spiral

Beam Spread

Base Medium (Base Types)

` Class and Filament

Diameter (in) 3.35

Length (in) 11.8

Finish Daylight

CRI 84

Color Temperature (Kelvin) 5000K

I also found this one, but you have to buy 12.

Base: Medium

Color Rendering Index (CRI): 84

Color Temperature (K): 6500

Current (A): 0.7

Diameter (in): 2.8

Industry Standards: UL and CUL Listed, FCC Part 18, Subpart C

Initial Lumens at 25C: 2800

Maximum Overall Length - MOL (in): 7.0

Nominal Voltage (V): 120

Nominal Wattage (W): 42

They would work, the only thing I don't particularly like is that the bases are so big and will take up space.

The previous two would be fine for other applications, like refugiums.

*General reef rule = above 6500k. Keep that in mind.

Better Kelvin rating. You can buy those at Home Depot for about $7 each. They are going to be very yellow though. They will yield good growth, but your corals will probably brown under those lights. I have one of those over my fuge, and my coraline grows like crazy under that light.

Originally posted by Von digity

They would work, the only thing I don't particularly like is that the bases are so big and will take up space.

The previous two would be fine for other applications, like refugiums.  

*General reef rule = above 6500k.  Keep that in mind.

I haven't seen the 42watt 5100K ones at Home depot..

Acutally I haven't seen any of these 3 there.

BTW what is CRI?

the HD ones aren't 42 watts. I don't think at least. What makes you say corals will "brown" under 6500k?

Originally posted by willember

I haven't seen the 42watt 5100K ones at Home depot..

Acutally I haven't seen any of these 3 there.

BTW what is CRI?

CRI = color rendering index.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant that the 3rd bulb would work, but the other two wouldn't be ideal.

Color Rendering Index (CRI) is an indication of how a light source affects the appearance of a standardized color chart compared with natural sunlight (under controlled conditions). Obviously, sunlight scores a big 100 CRI, with numbers approaching one-hundred being close to sunlight. For the sake of photosynthesis in aquaria, CRI values of ninety (90) or greater are called for. For the sake of photosynthesis in aquaria, CRI values of ninety (90) or greater are called for.

Originally posted by jasontatro

Color Rendering Index (CRI) is an indication of how a light source affects the appearance of a standardized color chart compared with natural sunlight (under controlled conditions). Obviously, sunlight scores a big 100 CRI, with numbers approaching one-hundred being close to sunlight. For the sake of photosynthesis in aquaria, CRI values of ninety (90) or greater are called for. For the sake of photosynthesis in aquaria, CRI values of ninety (90) or greater are called for.

nice rip from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/setup/lighting/. You coulda at least linked it so he'd learn more.

Sorry in advance for being a prick.

Sorry... I figured it was better than just writing:

CRI = Color Rendering Index

Which could be read in the descriptions of the bulbs themselves.

Originally posted by Von digity

Sorry in advance for being a prick.

It's ok

I think we should just start linking that web page whenever someone asks "is this bulb ok, etc..etc.." These questions seem to come up alot.

the 42 watt 6500k's are not at hd. hd has 19 or 20 watt 6500k screwinbulbs. i'vebeen using them for 2 years now. il love them. the yelllow collor is ealily remedied by adding atentic and 10000k lights fro you local lfs. i run one of each on my tank. cost be 40 bucks toal to add these two NO lights. (they are there just to help the yellow color of my 6500k's to be more white/blue)

hth

fastredponycar

just another idea here, how woudl a few of the 100 watt GE Reveal bulbs work? I don't have the cash to put together a MH setup for my 29gal and I can throw a temporary ghetto rigged canopy with 3 of these bulbs together for dirt cheap.

1352 leumens per bulb. Probably not enough but would wattage compensate?

what about the GE 42WT4 compact flourecense spiral tube bulb?

Drew if you are looking for a good way to light your tank and at a much cheaper amt. You ought to look into a 96 watt power quad retro fit, or maybe hood from corallife. I saw a 30 cube with that setup, and it provided enough light to make coraline algae thrive, and leathers and other softies work. I have seen the retros on www.hellolights.com, for around 50-70 or the entire hood, which only needs the legs(sparate-7.00) for arounbd 80.00 at www.webaquatics.com.

fastredponycar

well...i've been tossing around ideas all afternoon and I beleive that I'm going to go with the 24" retrofit setup from hello lights configured like this.

twin VHO 10,000K bulbs to start with leaving room in the center of the hood for a to be added later 250w MH bulb.

The intial cost should be around $200 for the VHO bulbs, ballast and hood. This would be adequate for now (because I'm not going to be adding any coral yet, just fish) and then later whne I get more money, I can add the MH bulb and a fan and then be able to put in corals and stuff. If I did it all at once, it'd run me about $400 which I ain't got. :(

If youre not going to be keeping coral, why bother spending the money in the first place. Fish will do just fine under NO flourescents. Why not just save the money that you were going to spend on VHO's until you have enough to do the MH.

Just my $.02

fastredponycar

good point. yesterday I talked with a couple other people and I orderd a DIY CF kit with ballast, wiring harness, etc with twin 65w bulbs (one standard 10,000K and one 50/50 actinite03 10,000K bulb).

I got that with a 24" reflector mounting plate from hello-lights for under $160. I figure it'll be a good start and the way the hood is going to be constructed, I'll have room to add either one or two MH bulbs between the CF's in the next few months.

Archived