Cultivated Reef

Reducing phosphates

Jbs77

I just bought a Hanna phosphate tester, and it continues to read a .30-.35 out of my display tank. I'm running a twolittlefishies 150 with kent phosphate sponge media, but it does not seem to lower the number. I've tested my rodi water, and it currently tests around a .05. I do have a large refuge with chaeto in it, and extreme amount of chaeto at times.

What media do you guys use with great success?

If chaeto dies does it release phosphates back into the water?

I do dose marinesnow, and DT's phytoplankton, are they known to contain phosphates?

Any help is appreciated.

Jarod

altolamprologus
I just bought a Hanna phosphate tester, and it continues to read a .30-.35 out of my display tank. I'm running a twolittlefishies 150 with kent phosphate sponge media, but it does not seem to lower the number. I've tested my rodi water, and it currently tests around a .05. I do have a large refuge with chaeto in it, and extreme amount of chaeto at times.

What media do you guys use with great success?

I do dose marinesnow, and DT's phytoplankton, are they known to contain phosphates?

Any help is appreciated.

Jarod

GFO works well and isn't very expensive. your lfs should have some.

when anything dies, it releases all the nutrients that it absorbed, so yes, the chaeto will release phosphate when it dies and breaks down

i don't know about DT's phytoplankton, but i was told that someone tested marine snow and put the recommended dose in fresh ro/di water and it tested high for phosphates. to back that up, i used to dose it 3x per week and my phosphates got up to 1 (yikes!) then after not using it for a month my phosphates went back down to almost 0

I buy the bulk GFO from bulkreefsupply, and I actually think it's more efficient than phosban, which is what I was using before. I've never used the kent product so I can't compare GFO to that.

Most people don't prune their macro. Macroalgae is completely ineffective if you don't remove chunks of it as it grows. Like the above stated if you let your macro die it just goes back into the water.

I prune mine ever couple weeks removing the old macro and leaving the new macro. Its the only way macro actually removes the phosphates from your system.

CoralWhisperer
Most people don't prune their macro. Macroalgae is completely ineffective if you don't remove chunks of it as it grows. Like the above stated if you let your macro die it just goes back into the water.

I prune mine ever couple weeks removing the old macro and leaving the new macro. Its the only way macro actually removes the phosphates from your system.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1,000,000,000

let me just say, you have to work to get chaeto to die, it is a conscious decision.

drainbamage

very much need to prune your chaeto/macro's- you'll not only remove the phosphate's they've chewed up before they smother themselves and have some dieoff-you'll also get spurts of growth owing to the extra light now being received by all the uncovered chaeto.

Marine snow and any form of phyto is basically a pure phosphate source- if the tiny particulates aren't captured by a critter, they break down VERY fast into essentially waste products, aka, phosphates (amongst others.)

Thanks for the information. I've checked out bulkreefsupply, pretty amazing website, and I'm glad you suggested it. I'll cull out my chaeto more often, I've noticed the die off begins when I have an obscene amount of chaeto.

Thanks again

Glad to have read about the marine snow. Lfs recommended it two weeks ago so I picked it up. I had just got done with a phosphate problem due to noob over feeding syndrome. Caused some nasty green algae. Started using the snow and needless to say no improvement on the algae after two weeks of using the snow. Haven't tested the phosphates since they were back down to 0. Guess ill be going to get a phosphate test kit tomorrow and check it out.

I'm running gfo from brs in a two little fishies reactor. It has reduced my phosphates from .43 to .19 so far, with using just a table spoon that I replace every 12 hrs.

I'm running gfo from brs in a two little fishies reactor. It has reduced my phosphates from .43 to .19 so far, with using just a table spoon that I replace every 12 hrs.

You replace your GFO every 12 hours? :o

After some green hair algae got out of control, I started running a bag of GFO in StevieT's inTank Media Basket in the back of my BioCube29. I also have a Hanna Phosphate photometer and now my phosphates are like 0.04 and very little algae. I change it every other month or so...

(technically, I have the Hanna Checker Ultra-Low Phosphorous meter, but readings can be converted to phosphate, x3.066/1000, and it's more accurate than just the phosphate meter)

After some green hair algae got out of control, I started running a bag of GFO in StevieT's inTank Media Basket in the back of my BioCube29. I also have a Hanna Phosphate photometer and now my phosphates are like 0.04 and very little algae. I change it every other month or so...

(technically, I have the Hanna Checker Ultra-Low Phosphorous meter, but readings can be converted to phosphate, x3.066/1000, and it's more accurate than just the phosphate meter)

Have you checked your ULP meter on your RO/DI fresh water? I did last night and got some bizarre results that I didn't expect.

lol. I think you're supposed to add more GFO and leave it in the reactor longer. BRS website probably has a good video on it.

lol. I think you're supposed to add more GFO and leave it in the reactor longer. BRS website probably has a good video on it.

You can't just scoop it into the reactor, you have to drain it and replace it. Once your tank is use to the lowered phosphates you can add as much as you want.

Archived