inTank Media Baskets

Dave's 20g room for more?

mogurnda

Hello Everyone! Just thought I'd post a recent pic of the 20. It all started out as a FO for the clowns. Then 40 lbs of TBS rock 2 years ago. Then a bunch of frags, mostly from local reefers. Now it's a bit out of control.

TANK022804_31.jpg

The specs:

20 gallon glass tank

130W PC (50/50 10000K/actinic)

BakPak 2R skimmer

500 gph closed loop with SCWD

Kalkwasser/vinegar drip

12" Aquafuge, fed by loop

SPS: Montipora digitata and capricornis

Softies: Anthelia, Nephthea, Tubipora, Xenia, Sinularia, Sarcophyton (recently fragged, maybe too enthusiastically), GSP

Other: zoanthids, red mushrooms

Thanks! Seems like this thread is a good chance to show some of the closeups, too. Here's the male clown, tending a recent batch of eggs.

7106redeggsm.jpg

Thanks again, all.

Mike, the sarcophyton seems to be on the mend, after the big decapitation and subsequent rot. You can see a bit of it in the middle top. The clowns miss it more than I do; it was the closest thing they had to a host.

In reality, though, the clowns haven't really taken much of a host. They occasionally snuggle in the toadstool, especially the female, but they aren't really hooked. They usually spawn in the cave on the bottom left, but they have spawned behind the mushroom as well.

From what I could tell, all of the eggs from the last batch were named "Stan." Not sure why. Clowns are just odd.

Here's an older pic, when they hung out with the toadstool.

7106bigstripe_facesm2.jpg

Just to give you an idea of its growth rate, here are a few pics. This one is from 10/28/02. Not pretty, but gets the point across.

7106tank1024sm.jpg

This one is from 10/14/03. Note that I moved the base deeper in the tank, and that the coral decided to attach to one of the rocks. This is really a side shot, it was bigger in the other dimension.

7106tank_101403sm2.jpg

For almost half that time, it was under 55 watts of PC light, then I upgraded to 130 watts.

How's yours looking today, by the way?

the lights are still off but he looks fine. the hermits are starting to act like they own the place and are climbing on and disturbing the corals. It makes me nervous.

I wouldn't worry. My hermits, shrimp and porcelain crabs climb all over the corals at night. Good chance to get mucus and debris. People talk about how sarcophytons routinely close up for a week, then shed. Mine never has, and I think it may be because the porcelain crabs scrape the mucus off at night.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What ever you are doing you are doing it right! Looks like you may have to upgrade your tank size to accomodate all that beautiful coral! There will always be a piece of coral that you want to have room for, it's like eating chocolate, once you start, it's hard to stop! Beautiful TanK! Kudos to you!

it's like eating chocolate, once you start, it's hard to stop
Yep. Believe it or not, I've added a few SPS frags since then. Although I did a good bit of homework, I was still pretty lucky that I have ended up with mostly non-aggressive corals.
  • 3 months later...

In the first picture you show,(comparing the sac..), is all that coralline algea all over the place. im seeing nothing but purple, wheres the rock from?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the package, so I got 40 lbs rock, 20 lbs sand, and a bunch of critters.

I am setting up a 90 now, and am still debating whether to get another package or just get the rock and some sand. The package gives a better deal on the rock, but I don't want 2 hermits per gallon or the cucumbers.

i want a tank got out of control like yours :) Very nice tank.

What is that purplish dark pink coral between xenia and clove polyps in the first pic?

Kadir

Keep saying nice things!

That "coral" is really a deceptive mix of coral and macroalgae. The anthelia has grown into and over some red grape. Since then, I added a few turbo snails who mowed the macro down pretty well.

Archived