SaltCritters.com

"Ants"

harday

O.k. - I know this sounds wierd, but here goes. After I turn the lights out and sneak up with a red light to watch, I see tiny somethings running like crazy along the bottom the tank. My best description - looks like a number (maybe 10 or so) of small ants running around. Every once in a while, I see one bolt across a rock during the day, but they really come out at night. They will swarm all over something, like a shell, then move on to something else. They are so fast, there is no way to get a picture, of even a close look at one with a magnifying glass. From the few I've seen bolt past in the day, they look to be black, but it's really hard to tell. They don't look to be swimming, just running around just like ants would. What the hell are these things?

Do a search for 'bugs', 'maggots', 'mites', or 'fleas' and you'll find quite a few posts about them. They're harmess little detrivores, either copepods or amphipods.

Thanks USF - I ran a search and nothing I found seemed to fit the bill - everyone described things that moved slow, whereas these things in my tank are fast as chit. I'll run a search again and keep reading. Thanks again.

Archived