Pod Your Reef

Bubble algae

Marcelo31

Thia algae has started growing on one of the pieces of lr. Need

to know if this algae is good or bad to have growing in the tank.

What are those bubbles filled with ? If they dio need to be removed what is the best method of removal.

Thanks.

Not good ;) The bubbles are filled with spores, make sure they don't pop or they'll spread all through the tank. Emrald crabs will eat it, or you could try and twist them off. Just have a piece of airline tubing handy to siphon it out.

Good ol' bubble algae. I've got it in various patches around my tank but it seems to stay under control. My emerald crab muches a bit of it out and the rest seems to die off as fast as it grows . . just make sure it doesnt get out of hand. Call me nuts but I think it actually looks kinda cool, just as long as its not everywhere.

d.

Bubble algae as weird as it looks --------- is actually sign of good water quality. I agree with meatloaf --- just maintain control of it.

Valonia algae is only a problem when it begins to crowd out corals, or smother them as the case may be. It's not a complete horror story and i'd be hard pressed to find a big reef tank that didn't have at least a little valonia in it.

Mithrax (emerald green) crabs will graze on it and help you keep it under control. While its small like that, you might be able to remove it if you watch out for popping the bubbles. Even then it's no guarantee. Just add a mithrax crab if it starts to grow like wildfire.

i don't know how anyone can remove bubble algae without popping it open . i had a serious problem with it finally i removed the rock and scraped it off used a toothbrush and rinsed with water ,back in the tank and haven't seen it in about a mounth now. as for emerald crab, i got one and it didn't ever touch the stuff. good luck!

Originally posted by james43 i don't know how anyone can remove bubble algae without popping it open .
you can rock it back and forth, that usually loosens them up. you can then remove manually, tweezer, clamps (e.g. hemostats), or chopsticks (hey, i'm asian, it's easy for me :P ).

i disagree with tolerating them. they're evil, pure and simple. :angry: they can upset your rock, literally undermine your corals, and generally look horrible imho.

i also disagree with the statement that they're a sign of good water quality. i've had bubble survive in nuked tanks and other equally horrid conditions. dessication, manual removal, or predation are the only means i know of to control them.

thefarmacist

Question related to bubble algea. Is it always green? I have something that resembles the algea but it is a deep deep red, almost black color.

Thanks...

Archived