Pod Your Reef

Arca Aquae

lakshwadeep

lakshwadeep

Thanks yoshii!

So, I was a little too optimistic liveaquaria would have 6 eviota gobies. After getting an order delay and seeing they were in stock again recently (even with my order not filled), I decided to alter my order: 2 Eviota pellucida, 2 Trimma cana, and 1 Wetmorella albofasciata (whitebanded possum wrasse). In the meantime, I've jumped the gun in stocking a little by planning to get a plate coral and (I think) a "Montipora spongodes" from a local reefer tomorrow.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those gobies will be nice! :) I've only kept plate corals on sand. Is there any problem keeping them in a bare bottom tank?

lakshwadeep

Yeah, I'm supposed to add the sand sitting near the tank. I just keep seeing more detritus piling up and finding some of the chitons lying on the bottom (i.e. excuses). I think the main problem for plates is if they cut the themselves on sharp rocks. The glass itself should not be a great danger.

edit:

bought four large trochus snails.

lakshwadeep

Okay, so I added the sand; although, I took some out today because I didn't realize how much of the rocks would be buried. Protip: catching mini ceriths is much easier with a plastic spoon.

New pics of the aquascape, which is cloudy from scraping algae and removing sand. Any thoughts or suggestions for improvement?

kdk_1541.jpg

kdk_1540.jpg

chiton

kdk_1536.jpg

lakshwadeep

Thanks guys! I agree about the heater; eventually I will get around to finding it's suction holder.

Fish update: Like before, the Eviotas were not ready to be shipped. Today I got the Trimmas and the Possum Wrasse.

Unfortunately one Trimma was DOA and the other died this evening. They both had pinched stomachs, so I'm not sure they were eating well before I got them.

The possum wrasse was a whole different story. When it came, I saw it floating in the shipping water, nearly lifeless. I think the cooling bags in the container were a factor since the bag water was relatively cold. I prepared to take some DOA pics, only to find the pectoral fins were slightly moving. After transferring it to the tank, it kept floating and bumping around the top of the tank with the water flow. Eventually it was able to move its gills, but I could only watch it struggle as if partially paralyzed before I went to school. I did get very worried about the large ruby mithrax crab trying to grasp at the poor fish, so I decided to remove all three crabs into another tank. Right now, it's like a miracle to see this little fish able to control its buoyancy and dart through the rocks. I later reread an article on possum wrasses that said they can suffer shipping stress. That's an understatement!

lakshwadeep

Update: The possum wrasse looks better, but it only stays active in shaded areas, which is unfortunately not much space in my tank. I haven't got it to eat yet, but I think it's eating pods (I'm a little sad for the sphaeromatids). I finally got time to buy the plate coral and branching montipora "spongodes" from a local reefer, who's also a member here: thom4348. Both corals look great, and I hope I will get good news that the Eviotas will be shipped.

Okay, so I added the sand; although, I took some out today because I didn't realize how much of the rocks would be buried. Protip: catching mini ceriths is much easier with a plastic spoon.

New pics of the aquascape, which is cloudy from scraping algae and removing sand. Any thoughts or suggestions for improvement?

kdk_1541.jpg

kdk_1540.jpg

chiton

kdk_1536.jpg

But eating them is easier with a fork

lakshwadeep

New FTS (only one side because that's the only clean pane).

file-1.jpg

The possum wrasse is looking better. You can see how it was nearly lifeless when I received it:

file.jpg

Now (this first pic is the only time I've seen it out of the shadows):

file-4.jpg

file-5.jpg

Montipora:

file-3.jpg

Fungia:

file-2.jpg

Note for future posters: To help avoid lengthy duplication, please avoid quoting entire, unedited posts with many pics if they're not being discussed.

I'm loving the progression here. :) That fungia looks beautiful, SO healthy.

The possum wrasse looks good, fantastic that he was out of the shadows enough for you to catch a couple of photos.

Nice! Those gobies are going to be amazing additions to the tank :)

Possum wrasses can be pretty shy, but hopefully it will come out more as it gets acclimated to the tank. It's amazing it came back from such a condition in the bag!

• 2 weeks later...
lakshwadeep

Thanks everyone!

The possum wrasse is getting bolder, but I haven't been able to get it to eat introduced foods. I feel a little sorry for all the sphaeromatid isopods that got decimated. They were endearing, like stubby roly-polies (which are actually terrestrial isopods).

So, the original order of eviota gobies was cancelled by liveaquaria after 2 weeks of no shipment. Luckily, I decided to reorder last week when I saw some more gobies in stock, and today I got shipment confirmation!

2 x Eviota pellucida

2 x Eviota nigriventris

2 x Trimma rubromaculatus

I hope they all arrive and stay alive! fingerscrossed

Note for future posters: To help avoid lengthy duplication, please avoid quoting entire, unedited posts with many pics if they're not being discussed.

Amen...

Looking good so far. Will be interested to see how the gobies hold up.

Very nice fish selection, any worry about the wrasse jumping? Trying to decide what to stock my 60P with...

lakshwadeep

Got the gobies right now! Time for acclimation!

calvin: Yes, there's some danger about jumping, which is why I like the nano gobies. I've always thought about a fully enclosed canopy, but I'm thinking something that is transparent (or some mesh on the sides) might be just as good.

lakshwadeep

Goby Pics! Floating all six fish raised the water level up to the brim and led to the salt creep on the glass.

"FTS" for size comparisons. The four Eviotas are ~1/2", while the Trimmas are ~1" and more robust.

file-9.jpg

Eviota pellucida ("Gold neon Eviota goby")

file-8.jpg

Trimma rubromaculatus (red spotted goby) in the foreground and Eviota nigriventris (red neon Eviota goby) in the back

file-7.jpg

file-6.jpg

lakshwadeep
The school of gobies is pretty sweet

Now it got bigger! I had been waiting 2+ weeks for the first two Eviota pellucida to ship, which is why I did this reorder. I tried canceling the first order, only to find out yesterday they were already shipped. :eek:

Current fish list:

1 white banded possum wrasse (Wetmorella albofasciata)

4 Eviota pellucida

2 Eviota nigriventris

2 Trimma rubromaculatus

Deleted User 6

Nice. My nigriventris has lived for about 2 years now in my tank. i haven't fed him in 3 months and he's still going strong, lol.

lakshwadeep
Nice. My nigriventris has lived for about 2 years now in my tank. i haven't fed him in 3 months and he's still going strong, lol.

Yes, I had a blue neon goby and an E. pellucida that survived for months only on pods. Now that I have so many gobies, I'm reconsidering the wrasse, which would be a competitor for pods.

lakshwadeep

Thanks! I finally got around to cleaning the glass, with some close ups of the gobies. Today everyone, even the possum wrasse, were feeding on cyclopeeze. The Trimmas will quickly hover above the rocks once they sense food. The Eviotas are more shy and favor hidden perches.

file-10.jpg

file-11.jpg

file-12.jpg

file-13.jpg

file-14.jpg

file-15.jpg

edit: Just some quick benchmarks of equipment. I got a Spectrapure CSP-DI system that works great, unless you forget it and come back to find the floor wet! Luckily this was the laundry room, where only a rug got soaked. Also, I got the new ESV four part salt mix (sodium chloride, magnesium sulfate, and two liquid "unknown" parts, which really does mix clear within ~20 minutes. I need to get a digital balance because measuring out the liquids is very inexact, even with the included measuring spoons.

Archived