Coral Vue Hydros

* ** Infert Black Spots Disease Cured  ** *

Catspa

Get the word out, by passing this info along (give me credit if you can ;) )

Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (and other types) developing black, un-uniform  spots, ranging in size from a speck to 3 mm in diameter can be cured by using the product “Red Slime Remover”, made by Ultralife.  

How I made this discovery:

Local LFS had a shipment that had a Skunk Cleaner that had these black spots on its body.  It wasn’t long before all the skunk cleaners at the LFS had these spots.  The spots would disappear after they molted, then would start to reappear, in a different location, a couple of days later.  The spots would always tend to be grouped together, but would appear in different locations on the body.

The LFS didn’t know what they were, but decided that he was going to get rid of them, and I talked him in to giving them to me, for free.

So I had 5 skunk cleaners that were infected.

I set up a three 2.5g tanks and went to work treated them with a number of things. 1 tank I didn’t treat with anything (2 shrimps in it), and the other two I treated with separate things to speed my experimentation along. (1 shrimp in one 2 in the other)

Under the microscope, I discovered that these spots were actually made up of clumpings of what looked like some type of bacteria.  So I decided to concentrate on bacterial remedies.  I tried a number of different remedies to no avail, also tried a number of parasitic and fungus remedies to no avail.

During this process that took about 6 weeks or so, 2 of the shrimps succumbed to the infection. One in the tank not treated with anything, and another in one of the other tanks.

Then I had a outbreak of red slime in one tank (red slime is actually a type of  Cyanobacteria).  So I used some Ultralife Red Slime Remover on the tank, and guess what happened the spots disappeared, along with the red slime. Wow, I thought, and used some in one of the other tanks, and again, the spots disappeared, then in the remaining tank a week later, and again the spots diappeared. Mystery Solved.

I talked to the LFS that I got the skunks from, and he said that he had since gotten a shipment in of Skunks, that came in looking fine, but which had developed the spots after being in his tank for about two weeks.  He tried then used my suggestion, and used some Ultralife Red Slime Remover in his tank, and the spots on his skunks went away to.

So pass it on, Ultralife Red Slime Remover will cure your skunks, and other shrimps I guess, of the mysterious black spot disease.

Catspa

Peace ;)

That's very interesting, I love it when those kinds of things happen. We run into the same sort of thing when we treat rescued cats for ailments. I guess it would work the same for all critters.

Now the question I would ask is what the heck is in the Red Slime Remover? Some kind of antibiotic? A combo? I wonder what kind? My curious mind wants to know!

not sure whats in Ultralife's “Red Slime Remover”.  It's reef and invertibrate safe, and will remove red slime from your tank within a day or so of using it. Works great, and the red slime doesn't come back!

Strange thing is, as i said, I tried using other bacterial remedies and nothing worked.  But Ultralifes "red slime remover" got rid of the black spots just as quick, and they havent come back.  I guess theres something in it thats particular to cynobacteria, and whatever it is has the same affect on the black spots. ..Go figure..?

anyone know whats in it?

Wow, some people spend decades trying to discover things like that.   I would suggest that you do further research to find out exactly what the infection was and what it was in the red slime remover that cured it.  You know, shrimp farms are big business.   Maybe they have the same problem.

Now if you're ever on another planet ruled by giant skunk cleaner shrimp, you will be treated like a king.

COnsidering the fact that RED SLIME REMOVER is simply Kanocyn with the Phosphate Orthophos group removed from it...... it would kill black spot disease as it is a gram negetive bacterium as is cyano. You could use Kanocyn to destroy the cyano also, but it has phosphates (which will fuel other problems... but can be precipitated out of the water by a skimmer and calcium supplements)

Just to bring ya up to speed and sorry to bust yer NOBEL PRIZE run....LOL

Archived