Pod Your Reef

Is this going to matter?

HumblePie

Plumbing question:

I have a 1" return from my Iwaki pump but it goes through a SCWD which is 3/4". Unfortunatley, my local stores only sell 1" Spa-Flex tubing so I have 1" from the pump to a 3/4" reducer to the SCWD and then from the SCWD I have a 3/4" to a 1" coupler with 1" Spa-Flex up to 3/4" bulkheads where I use another reducer. Ideally, I would have left it as 3/4" from the SCWD but wasn't able to locate the necessary tubing locally. If it will make a big difference, I'll return the tubingreducers and order the 3/4" Spa-Flex online...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

MrConclusion

You will have slightly higher flow rate if you keep the majority of your plumbing at 1", reducing it to 3/4" only as needed.

Personally, I would do whatever is more convenient. Leaving it at 3/4" exiting the SCWD will probably look neater, and leaves fewer connections that might leak. I wouldn't worry about the loss of a few GPM if it will make the system neater and less leak-prone.

Originally posted by MrConclusion

You will have slightly higher flow rate if you keep the majority of your plumbing at 1", reducing it to 3/4" only as needed.

Well, any time you have a reduction/expansion in pipe size, that will cause some head loss.

Also, head loss through 1" pipe is less than head loss through 3/4" pipe.

Your options are 3/4" pipe all around, or a combo with reductions/expansions. They could turn out to be equal. But my guess is that you would have more flow (less head loss) if you used 3/4" pipe all 'round.

You can crunch the #s on Reefcentral's calculator pretty easily.

Archived