Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ReeferMadness's 12g long build

igotreefermadness

I'm curious if you have tested the check valve yet? I've heard somewhat mixed things about how well/often they actually work.

igotreefermadness

It has worked well for me so far, I'll report back if it fails. I played with it for awhile before putting it in and it seemed fairly fail proof. They say specifically to be plumbed oriented horizontally facing a certain direction so that gravity is on their side.

• 2 months later...
igotreefermadness

Update on tank: check valve is still functional, although I can see a very small amount of backflow over an extended period of time. I think this has a lot to do with how much water pressure is going through the lines. More water pressure = better seal. I do see some algae growth within the valve, but I test (or just use) the valve for various things throughout the month and it always holds.

matth6761 said some really great things about UPS's in his article, and it made me realize I completely forgot to mention that I was running one as well. So in the event of a power outage, I can see close to two hours of maintained return pump and heater usage.

I will have to get pictures of the new return pump "manifold", that I have employed the check valve into. It has ball valves for each return that let me shut off and/or control water pressure to each locline.

I've been so damn busy with my Eagle Talon (I blew a headgasket) that I haven't had much time/money to mess with the tank. So she sits as is. Heres a shot of the fresh engine rebuild for those of you interested:

imag0112c.jpg

imag0130o.jpg

I like a little rice ;)

A few new additions though, Red Lobophylia, some Elephant-like palythoas, and a green polyp leather about the size of a dime who has been growing/closing up a lot!

• 3 months later...
igotreefermadness

I need to get a better camera, but I have successfully been keeping a Blue Stripe Pipefish in the past couple months, he is very healthy and I have managed to get him on to a multitude of filter feeder foods. Been real busy for me going through a lot of life's surprises; the tank has been moved four times this summer.. Fortunately I have managed zero mortalities from any sps colonies, and have acquired some very interesting frags such as a Ponape Birdsnest (my new favorite sps!) and a small frag of pink zoas. Some other random stylophoras, a frag of orange dichtophora (which has also been doing alright, almost impossible to tell aside from algae growth on these guys, of which there is zero!).

I have been dosing Live phyto, with a homemade mix of baby brine, rotifers, cyclo, and squid all enriched. The evap has been insane, about 5 gal a week, and I'm expecting it to get worse with the onset of winter. I have been trying to rent out a DSLR from my university since I have so many other projects going I cant justify buying my own. Try to get some shots soon.

Five gallons a week? That sounds like a lot. I have the GLA version of the same tank, and I only need about 1g per week at the worst.

Anyway, the tank looks great! I love the 'scape.

5 gallons a week sounds about right. Well for my 33 gallon its about a gallon a day. Im getting the exact tank Reefmadness has soon for a freshwater tank and Im expecting that ill be busy every morning caring RO water lol.

igotreefermadness

The tank has a ton of surface agitation. Consider the overflow and the 10g sump below it is also running multiple powerheads to keep detritus suspended. Maybe closer to 4g of evap but I'm also moving something like 600 gph in it.

This tank would look AMAZING as a FW planted, I have seriously considered it. The low iron glass does a lot for the FW look IMO. I feel like the 12g long doesnt get the credit it deserves, the shape is very unique. It is also set up perfectly for a retrofit into a AIO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
igotreefermadness

I'm at a loss for my tanks lack of growth. I can't say I have ever seen consistent growth coming from any of my coral beyond my zoas and GSP. All lps and sps is expremely poor aside from my orange monti.

Here are my current tank params:

Nitrates: <5ppm

Phosphates: <.25 ppm

Calcium: 420 ppm

KH: 8 dkh (something I have been wanting to raise but still acceptable)

PH: 8.0-8.2

Temp: 77

SG: 1.024

I keep about 1.5 to 2 lbs of LR per gallon, I spot feed all coral multiple times a week with frozen rotifers, live phyto, cyclopeeze, rods reef formula, rotifeast.

I began dosing Kent's AB supplement on the 15th of the month.

I have an ATO that comes on every six hours.

I run both carbon and GFO.

On top of this I have a nice colony of ORA borealis that refuses to give me any PE after it was fine the initial week. My red lobophyllia looks poor. Could this be a magnesium deficiency issue? I'm running 10 Cree 3w LEDs about seven inches from the top of the water. I just don't see the missing variable here.

• 3 months later...
igotreefermadness

Just shot a picture of my galactic meteor show with his mouths open feeding. The picture has zero photoshopping done.

Added a single 36" T5HO bulb to my led setup to help cover the tank evenly, I'd like to try a Fiji Purple bulb. Tank really took off things are doing well since the addition of two part dosing. Coraline algae is insane, covering everything with day to day spread, none of the back wall had coraline before november.

6850259359_b4c231c4e4_b.jpg

Also an updated FTS:

6850283117_961bc8c6cb_b.jpg

6850292411_ea1f27753c_b.jpg

Wow thats great coraline growth in a short time. I'm adding a kalk reactor in the next few days. I'm hoping it helps with my lack of coraline. I have the same tank and love it.

• 2 weeks later...
igotreefermadness

Yeah its amazing, one day I just realized my entire back wall was covered with it. Now I'm having some chemistry issues keeping alk and calcium balanced. Im hoping the switch to Tropic Marin Pro salt will help!

Yeah its amazing, one day I just realized my entire back wall was covered with it. Now I'm having some chemistry issues keeping alk and calcium balanced. Im hoping the switch to Tropic Marin Pro salt will help!

Check your Magnesium. Thats usually the culprit.

igotreefermadness

I've been testing Mg and it has stayed consistent. I'm using Fluval 3-ions which is an ionically balanced formula of Ca, Mg, and Strontium and it has kept my Mg at right about 1250 consistently.

I think what has been happening is the Alk and Ca are way off causing an imbalance which is leading to a larger precipitation of Ca while my Alk is hovering around 10 dkh.

• 8 months later...

Wow great looking tank, that corraline is really comin in. When you say your chem's out of balance are you talking about alk or cal dropping? With all that coraline growing I'd expect that alk demands should be elevated.

• 2 months later...

ZOMG. Another DSMer with a Mr. Aqua 12g. Huh. Hopefully these tanks a built with the intention to last. :D

I read your wtb post. Sad to hear this thing is coming down man. Good luck.

Archived