Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Live Rock

Amo2011

So I got rid of all my old LR when I broke down my old tank. I wanted to get all new live rock.

Nice live rock.

My LFS has Bali.... The piece didn't look great.

Looking for opinions on type of live rock (leaning towards Fiji, premium fiji).

What else do you guys like?

Good seller of liverock?

I am in chicago so just weighing my options.

found this place:

iAquarium Arts

http://www.aquariumarts.com/liverock.html

Seems very expensive.

If I could get some input I would appreciate it. Good live rock is a great backbone (along with good water) for the start of a healthy and happy tank.

You might want to ask a mod to move this a more appropriate forum - biological filtration maybe?

At any rate - I like Macro Rocks I just got some the other day and I have to say it's really impressive stuff. Buy some of that and seed it with some LR from your LFS and you are in business.

EDIT - ALSO : Watch Craigslist in your area and your local reef clubs. I just saw 100lbs go for $2 per pound. There are some good deals to be had.

EDIT AGAIN: The macro rock won't give you any cool hitch hickers but you won't get any pests either. If you are looking for something with a lot of life and surprises there is a place in Florida - I think it's this one: Floridaliverock but I'm not sure... I know a few people here have ordered from someplace in FL and got some pretty amazing stuff.

Good Luck.

I bought 40lbs of Pukani rock from Bulk reef supply. you get alot more when you buy it dried. its easy to scape when its dry and dont have to worry about a cycle.

they also sell base rock which is great to. good prices, better than most crappy LR in LFS.

Whatever you do steer clear of Justliverock.com or whatever they are calling themselves these days. Something like Liverockranch. There are many bad things listed for that company and I can first hand tell you they are a shoddy bunch of people that give the trade a bad name.

I got mine from Sea Life Florida. I was thrilled with all the hitchhikers. He was great to work with. I bought from him a number of times.

you could aways make you LR. it really easy and cheap!

If I was to do it all over again thats what I would recommend, then just purchase a couple of pieces of high quality rock to seed with if you like. Much more control over what kind of shapes you need and better control of the overall look of the tank.

bump for some more input....

This place is the best...

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supply/Liverock.html

It's in Indy. Totally worth the drive to cherry pick yourself out of the massive tanks. I drove down with a rubbermaid garbage can half filled with salt water. Completely filled it with their rock. Split the price with two other friends who wanted rock.

If you plan the trek for May7, there will be a frag swap a couple miles from the store.

thanks for all the replies guys.

this is great. looks like i am heading to INDIANA. I appreciate the help. going to save some money.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of the live rock from sealifeinc.net. I've bought rock for two tanks from them... both had great coralline algae, interesting macro algaes, very interesting hitchhikers (including live coral), and no particularly bad pests (a couple of crabs, and a humungous CUC-eating bristleworm, but no aiptasia or majano...). Anyway, it's about as lively as live rock gets... so potentially it can have bad stuff. But my experience has been great.

Archived