Top Shelf Aquatics

60G cube dream reef..

xtlosx

The tank looks great, cement be damned. Tall tanks really open up your aquascaping options, I could'nt get away with any thing like that. With shallow tanks, you're essentially limited to islands.

- My wife loves tangs....... I don't want the tang polizia after me, but is there a suitable tang for this tank?

look into Ctenochaetus Flavicauda It's the smallest tang species, I believe they max out at around 5 inches. It might be a little tough to find one available because they are a rarity.

How is the skimmer doing? I've heard mixed reviews on them and just wondering if you feel that it works well

Seems like it is working well so far, for some reason this morning the air input started acting funny, so I had to turn it all off, check the hose, and restart the bastard. Works fine now. Probably not the skimmers fault, some of my macro got into the display tank so might have gunked it up and confused it.

Otherwise, so far so good!

Updates...

Just added a beautiful Japanese Green Bubble Tipped Anemone, with Pinkish\Purple tips.... This thing is absolutely beautiful! Sadly, it has found a home in the back of the rock work, and is not visible from the front.. It is still moving slowly so hoping it will come back out. It's full extended back there and looks great.

I also picked up a 1.75" Blue Maxima clam which is slowly opening up more daily. Sorry for the ####ty pictures. I love it this clam!

DSCN5499.JPG

DSCN5500.JPG

DSCN5501.JPG

DSCN5502.JPG

DSCN5504.JPG

DSCN5505.JPG

Whether something causes skin irritation is irrelevant.

Psreefer, this was exactly my point.

And good lord, the bta is gorgeous. I have a regular green bta, and he also found his home on the back of my rock. : /

Thanks guys! I will let the GBTA pick his own spot for now, and maybe down the road he will move, or a power head might be pointed in his general direction... mua haha... ahh jk. Our true perc was actually curious and checking out the GBTA yesterday but has now stopped caring because he is behind the rock... what a shame.... So we're really hoping he opens back up!

I hope the Maxima makes it, I am really addicted to clams now, very neat creatures... One side of him is opened up more than the top side, so not sure if he is still adjusting to the new abundance of light, but hoping he pulls through!!

doppelganger

wow that nem is crazy. everything looks great! updated fts? ;)

btw...

Just because a friend is using this Dryloc cement doesnt mean that its safe, good luck! You should of done more research. I've never heard anybody on here using or recommending using cement for bonding in their tanks. Just like the other nuckle -heads that use the great-stuff foam for their back grounds or bonding are asking for trouble!

just because you say it's not safe, doesn't mean it isn't safe either. Deed is done, there's nothing we can really do. Tank looks great imo. IF the cement isn't safe then we'll just have to learn from it. If you have proof then I'm sure we'd all love to see it.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!!

Was bored, and picked up our first SPS today! Pretty excited, and ended up getting an ORA Orange & Green Birdsnest. The structure of it seems very cool to me, so decided to snatch it up for $10! Looking forward to the process of watching it grow and flourish.

DSCN5512.JPG

DSCN5514.JPG

Looks great. Love that nem and clam.

Thanks, all is well so far... I wanted to make sure the clam was getting his proper nutrition so I picked up a small bottle of phyto-feast, and fed him daily... well, think I overfed as I have been battling a small diatom outbreak on my sand for the past couple of days...

doh! Now I'm starving the bastard diatoms and they are slowly going away.. My snails are staying fed. lol.

Alright, so just wanted to share some new updated pictures of the GBTA in the new spot that it found for itself..... On the back of my rock work (doh!)... He has actually been trying to deflate and squeeze himself every couple of days through this tiny arch underneath him to face the front of the tank, but has failed every time... Always going back to this spot though!

DSCN5529.JPG

DSCN5530.JPG

DSCN5531.JPG

He seems happy, healthy and content to stay in that spot, so I'm leaving him be... Going to feed some shrimp today or tomorrow.

Another little update... Picked up a beautiful multi-colored Frogspawn (Thanks customdusty) & a lobo (Thanks TheReefNinja)....

Also picked up some various SPS (Thanks again Dusty) and will figure out where they will go shortly, just wanted to show off this awesome Frogspawn... My perc is curious and cruising around the front of the tank.

Both are looking good! Some pictures below. Sorry my camera & associated skills with what I have blow, but this baby is beautiful.

DSCN5534.JPG

DSCN5536.JPG

DSCN5535.JPG

DSCN5537.JPG

DSCN5538.JPG

DSCN5539.JPG

• 1 month later...

Archived