Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

No2 till showing reading?

snookface1

I dont know what to do. My 13 gal tank has been setup for over 6 weeks. My Amo is 0.0, No2 is (0.10+ I cant read the redsea reading), No3 =2.5. My live rock is TBS and really looks great. I only have a cleanup crew in there with a small Shroom rock. I know there is some reading in my No2 levels, because when I compare it with my 55 gal reef it test at 0.0. I find it hard to believe the TBS rock cant produce bacteria to reduce the rates.

I've been letting it do its thing, I did do a 10% water change this weekend but it didnt change the values.

It's possible that your tank's initial break-in period is not finished ("cycle" is not complete). Try a 20% water change and look to see if anything died (snail, hermit) or it could be something on the rock (sponges that were exposed to air and are now decaying). You might also consider adding a refugium or some macroalgae to the tank. I'd monitor the pH, alaklinity and calcium levels as well.

quandary_23

I had a slight spike in mine after I left some uneaten food in my tank .2 nitrites, was worried for my clean up crew and shrimp and serpent. I did a huge water change over the course of the day, dripping in the new water each time, letting it sit for an hour, then do it again. I put in 4 fresh gallons and my tank holds 7.5 gallons roughly. I measured the no2 but still .15 or so. I added a 201 power head to get more flow in my nano cube and bingo the nitrites went null shortly afterward.

I left the powerhead in on the opp side of the stock pump and everyone is doing fine, and the shrimp molted just yesterday. Its been 4 days and everyone is back to being very active. I don't test my water too often, but new something was up when my starfish was out in the daylight on top of the rock.

So you might need more flow, but not too sure why? Maybe because the current being stronger was able to move the debris around more and spread it out over the sandbed and rock more evenly. Just a thought

Yep, sounds to me like the tank is in it's final cycling phase. Nitrobactir colonies are the most difficult to establish but if the LR is decent quality, it should begin to eliminate your nitrite levels. Doing water changes can also potentially "stall" the cycling process, so just be patient and let the tank cycle until it starts reading zero/zero/zero.

Archived