Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need Help With Pest ID!

rlopez3

Need help someone. I have this now all over my tank. What is it and how do I get rid of it. It is like a dark chocolate/rust color or algae. It's on the fruit loop frag in the first pic.

MorAlgae.jpg

In this pic, it is on the rock in the center of the pic.

Algae.jpg

Then, I also have this red coarse hair looking algae on the rock with the acans on it. Sorry the pic is blurry.

HairAlgae.jpg

Need help everyone. Going to start a 40 br soon, but don't want this stuff in my new tank. Don't plan on transferring any rock, but I do want the frags.

Roberto

My apologies for not having better camera. I know the last pic is hard to see, but the rust and dark brownish red blotches in the first two pics are visible. Can't get rid of it and don't know what it is.

Builder Anthony

Dont mix it in your sand it will only seep out if covered and spread.I let a area in my tank build it up then suck it out with a airhose.Lower the light cycle or skip a day of light after removing it.Any time you mess with it go to a dark tank so the stuff that floats around dies in no light.

Thanks for the response. The stuff I am most worried about is the rust stuff in the first two pics. Don't know how to get rid of it. Looks like brown tar.

Builder Anthony

Its probally the coral fighting it off.My green zoas give off a green mucus which seems to kill off the algae.

Builder Anthony

If there is a small current around it it will uasually let the current run under it little allowing you to siphon it off.You could use a waterpick but be careful with it because if you go to close with the water pick it will damage your coral.Its better to siphon it out cause the water pick shoots the stuff around in the tank which is then hard to siphon out.I really think the brown stuff is your coral creating a mucus so i would leave that alone.It will shed it on its own.

Archived