Cultivated Reef

what a sump what a refugium

MaxMike

sorry for my ignorant but waht a sump what needed in sump..what the use of sump..

secondly, what a refugium what the use what to put in refugium..hope somebody can enlighten me. ???

waiting for so long....i'm really very confused now some say u got sump no need refugium some say sump is really a refuguim inside cabinetsome say need both...help help

i just wanna start a marine tank

30"x14"x16" custom tank

hm hqi250 10k + 2 20w pl light

a remosa pro hangon skimmer

30lb LS

20lb LR

pls can anyone help me ...cos i really wanna get started... i know that it a silly question maybe answer by all before but i still don't understand..

thank for the respond but i'm confused becos i read the pervious thread which mention sump function as a refugium.... if i got a sump function as a refugium then i no need a refugium ,right?

but other thread i read before say a sump is a sump and a refugium is a refugium with diff function...that why i'm confused

Cellenzweig

Hello,

The sump and refugium are two different things, although a sump can have a refugium BUILT IN to it. A sump is another tank that usually sits below your main tank. It has three main purposes:

1) to increase the size of your water column so there is less bioload.

2) a place to put ugly equipment like heaters, skimmer, etc...

3) a place for an overflow to run into. An overflow is built into your main tank and water flows over into the sump. It is returned to the tank by a return pump. Overflows keep the water in your main tank at a constant level and also force surface skimmates to be drawn into the sump (where the skimmer is if using one)

Sumps usually have several glass or plastic baffles to prevent bubbles from getting to the main tank.

A refugium is completely different. Refugiums are used to provide "refuge" to the inhabitants. This is a low flow area that provides a place to raise macro-algae (removes nitrates) and copepods (food for some fish). Refugiums do better above the main tank level, so the copepods can flow to the main tank by gravity. If your refugium is below (like in the sump), some of the copepods may be killed by the impeller on the return pump. In-sump refugiums are great for raising macro, but it is better to have a small hang-on-back model to breed critters in.

Can anyone add anything??

Archived