Coral Vue Hydros

How much water....

aldive

Approximately how much salt water will a 10 gal aquarium hold. That is how much will it hold after 2-3 inches of live sand and 15-20 pounds of live rock?

AnthonyNguyen

hey Aldive,

I would goes with 6 gallons of Sw, and than add rock and than sand! if all of the rock and sand is overflow, you always can take some out and save it for the next 10% water changes or add it in later on. Good Luck dood!

Moderator note: Anthony, thank you for helping out in the beginners forum without any rude sarcasm.

it is too hard to accurately answer that question, you must know the volume of your live rock and sand bed, not the density, and you are gonna need some lab supplies to figure that out...or you could just put all your rock and sand in there and find out how much water it takes to fill up the tank but i think that is what you are trying to answer

I filled it up to 2 inches below added an inch of crushed coral and filled it to the top with 11pounds liverock.

The live rock I used in my 10 has a density of 3.56, all rock size is not dependent upon weight so weight is not an accurate estimate. Multiply that by Pi, and its 11.2, now subtract the amount of sand in acres, which is .00000027, and also subtract 4, because my tank is not a circle, now you have 7.2, and that's exactly the amount of water my 10 gallon needed. HTH.

Archived