Innovative Marine Aquariums

What food to feed Clownfish?

phyber

I'm going to be picking up my Clownfish this Friday from the LFS and am wondering what is advised to be the daily meal for these fish.

I currently have:

• Omega One Super Color "For All Tropical Fish" small pellets
  • Omega One Super Veggie "For All Algae Grazers" kelp pellets
  • Omega One Freeze Dries Mysis Shrimp= treats

These foods are left over from my cichlid tank, and are nearly full. Will I be able to feed these to the new saltwater fish, or are the foods labeled for Marine use actually different?

Cheapreef27
I'm going to be picking up my Clownfish this Friday from the LFS and am wondering what is advised to be the daily meal for these fish.

I currently have:

• Omega One Super Color "For All Tropical Fish" small pellets
  • Omega One Super Veggie "For All Algae Grazers" kelp pellets
  • Omega One Freeze Dries Mysis Shrimp= treats

These foods are left over from my cichlid tank, and are nearly full. Will I be able to feed these to the new saltwater fish, or are the foods labeled for Marine use actually different?

You can use the mysis as more of a treat, and the kelp pellets, but as they are primarilly carnivores, you should get a omnivre or carnivore based marine fish food, such as reef flakes or formula 1

That's what I was thinking.

Is there any difference to the fish wether it's flake or pellet? Are they messy eaters?

I just didnt want to waste $$ if the fish would eat what I already had. I'll probably pick up the Formula 1

Clowns will eat just about anything, they're little piggies. In my experience, they go after any kind of marine flake or pellet, or frozen foods. I use formula 1 and they love it.

Cheapreef27
That's what I was thinking.

Is there any difference to the fish wether it's flake or pellet? Are they messy eaters?

I just didnt want to waste $$ if the fish would eat what I already had. I'll probably pick up the Formula 1

Its good to have a little variety, but in my experiences, my clown is not a messy eater, but what kinda is yours. I have a misbar percula, which is little, but if you have a maroon or something similiar, it may.

The only major difference I see is that pellets tend to sink faster and are not quite as easy for "small mouthed" fish to get at. Flakes get soaked fast and can easily be sucked in by any animal.

Got ya. I'll pick up the flakes if possible then. The fish that are in the shipment will be roughly 1" at most.

I've been used to buying pellets because my Blood Red Parrot cichlid was hellaciously messy eating since it couldn't close it's mouth.

Anyone have any insight as to what the growth rate will be for these fish?

I will only be keeping 2 in a 25g FOWLR tank. Different places tell difference adult sizes...but no bigger than 4" for the Ocellaris that I want.

Mine eat anything and everything. I definatly dont have to worry that theyre not getting enough food. I use formula one flakes and pellets, mysis shrimp, and freeze dried cyclop-eeze. I find it hard to feed the pellets because the clowns don't let any fall to the bottom so my hi fin, randalli, or cleaner can eat.... (greedy lil pigs I tell ya)

Archived