•Actinodiscus (shrooms)

•Button Polyp

•Sea Squirts (hitchhiked with shrooms)

I will add in 2days

•Montipora

•Actinodiscus

•5x blue leg hermit crabs

•10x Astrea Snails

Have I got everything going good so far?

NanoReefer53

everything except the montipora. You should really wait until your water parameters are good and everything is stable before tryin SPS, they can die very quickly in a matter of hours. Also you will need to be able to keep calcium and alkalinity up for them.

Lunchbucket

SLOW DOWN!!

cycle 1st, wait, add hermits and snails, wait, wait wati, add hardy corals, wait, 1 fish, wait wait wait wait...then maybe some SPS about 6 months down the road!! i wouldn't do SPS under 2x36w PC's either. they will live but won't thrive!!

Lunchbucket

I will hold off on the Montipora despite my water conditions being 0.00ammonia 0.00nitrite and 0.05nitrate(as far as I can tell, kit goes 0.00-0.10 but it's somewhere in between)

As for lighting, I heard from reliable source (Val and Vern) that Montipora would thrive under 2x36w and that more light that makes the tips color is actually bad for it.

Lunchbucket

ok, here is the deal straight up. val and vern are great reefers and i like them alot but they do NOT know everything on lighting. they told me 2x55w PC's would BURN EVERYTHING. so i passed that up. then i got a 70w DE MH becasue a 150 would BURN EVERYTHING. guess what the 150 hasn't touched a thing!! they are doing better than ever!! many people have 250's (nanoreefer) on thier nano's. heck i would do a 250 on mine.

corals are used to light. just don't acclimate them too fast!

montipora digita or cap?? either will LIVE but they will NOT truely thrive. as in growing as fast as they should color up like they should etc.

no one take offense...i like them both very very much and they have helped me but i have 150w experience and NOTHING bad has happend only good!!

Lunchbucket

Honest opinion. READ some more........

its not a race to fill the tank. Just because your tank reads nominal now, doesnt mean it wont be in the next week.

AFAIC.... V/V are nice peeps..... They are not gods gift to reefing

as I too see faults in the advice they give occasionaly....

Not saying im god either, byt just get as many diferent opinions as possible and make an EDUCATED decision on your own.

oh and uh,,.. READ. !

Archived