Cultivated Reef

Opinions on ebay LED?

malibukay

6x 1 watt Blue at 450 nm and 6x 1 watt LED in white at 15000K.

That should answer your question, 1w LEDs won't grow anything unless there is tons of them and then there is no reason to use them because they become less efficient and cost more than 3w CREE LEDs.

thanks for the reply, i know nothing about LEDs so i figured id ask, i was gonna go the DIY way but i know nothing about it nor think i would have an idea where to start =/

what fixture do you recommend?

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
thanks for the reply, i know nothing about LEDs so i figured id ask, i was gonna go the DIY way but i know nothing about it nor think i would have an idea where to start =/

what fixture do you recommend?

DIY LEDs are simple. Three parts, LEDs, heatsinks, power. saves you bunch of money in the long run and its great learning experience.

If you want to just buy a fixture, give me specs of your tank... size, corals, current lighting and i can direct you in the right direction.

DIY LEDs are simple. Three parts, LEDs, heatsinks, power. saves you bunch of money in the long run and its great learning experience.

If you want to just buy a fixture, give me specs of your tank... size, corals, current lighting and i can direct you in the right direction.

id like to try the DIY option, ive been curious, i just read up on all the guides and everything and im still confused. i dont know how to solder nor do i have the equipment, and i was wondering once i do make the LED lighting how do i get a fixture for it?

Mods here won't close a thread at your request. Even though you may be done with it there may be useful information for someone else. But since you changed your title, someone else searching for info on cheap ebay LED's is going to have to ask the same questions all over again.

Mods here won't close a thread at your request. Even though you may be done with it there may be useful information for someone else. But since you changed your title, someone else searching for info on cheap ebay LED's is going to have to ask the same questions all over again.

oh alright ill change it back, haha thanks!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
id like to try the DIY option, ive been curious, i just read up on all the guides and everything and im still confused. i dont know how to solder nor do i have the equipment, and i was wondering once i do make the LED lighting how do i get a fixture for it?

You nailed it with that question... I find its the hardest thing to do, make it look good. Most people just have bare heatsinks inside their canopys but for the people that don't have a canopy, you have to get it wife approved somehow. It can be tricky but it can be done. You can build a wooden box for it, you can keep it true to the material and show the heatsink and hide the wires, you can put acrylic around it, etc etc.

Soldering part is easy, $20-30 soldering iron will do you. If you never done it before, just do a couple practice runs on something.

Stick with CREE LEDs, they are the best currently.

You nailed it with that question... I find its the hardest thing to do, make it look good. Most people just have bare heatsinks inside their canopys but for the people that don't have a canopy, you have to get it wife approved somehow. It can be tricky but it can be done. You can build a wooden box for it, you can keep it true to the material and show the heatsink and hide the wires, you can put acrylic around it, etc etc.

Soldering part is easy, $20-30 soldering iron will do you. If you never done it before, just do a couple practice runs on something.

Stick with CREE LEDs, they are the best currently.

thanks for the reply, i was thinking to use acrylic to build a box around the heatsink itself, i guess that would be easiest? alright i think im gonna give this a shot! haha wish me luck!

Archived