Pod Your Reef

Hermit killing everything that crawls.

cirionrc

This little red hermit immediately killed three snails. I think he was trying for their shell even thought his shell was way bigger. Get this I just bought a Queen conc. He was huge. Like 5-6" long and about 2-3 inches high and the little hermit crab killed it and ate some of the conc. We took the dead conc out of the shell which was discusting site and put the shell back in and the little tiny hermit took the huge shell. Takes like 2-3 hours for him to climb over 1 little live rock to lug the huge shell. Anyway, he is killing everything, is this normal? And should I take him out? He doesn't look like he is cleaning anything. What do they eat?

Son Of Skyline

It happens. I've seen my entire snail population wiped out due to hermits...except for my astrea and turbo snails. For some reason the hermits don't go near them. I guess the shells don't fit.

Make sure you have an assortment of appropriately sized shells in the tank for them to choose from. Otherwise, they tend to shelljack other animals.

Joxer the Mighty

I don't like hermits. I had some that would kill snails even with smaller shells than they could use. I think they eat a lot of the beneficial fauna in your sandbed too.

it sounds like a flushing is in order for mr. hermit..... or take him back to the lfs. i too have just one hermit and he causes no trouble. i had one snail die and he just cleaned out the shell and left it lying there, but he didn't kill the snail.

Archived