Innovative Marine Aquariums

Lighting question for 10 gallon tank

bleedinorange

bleedinorange

I am thinking of buying a 20" 1x28W Coralife Aqualight hood w/ 50/50 -Square Pin. What does 50/50 mean and is 28 Watts not enought for my 10 gal tank??

50/50 means the bulb is a combination of white daylight (either 6,000K or 10,000K) and actinic blue, actual spectrum of light depends on bulb. For a 10 I would say that light won't be enough to support much. If you are going fish only it might be OK. If you want to add corals later I would suggest a 65 watt fixture at minimum, I have the 96w PowerQuad on my 10 gallon and love that.

As JohnnyMTB said, for FO it's probably fine, but a bit low if you want to much in the way of Corals. I run the 2x36W kit from AHSupply on my 10G. I highly recommend them if you are comfortable with DIY. Hellolights.com has the 96W Coralife hood for only $97 right now which is a pretty good deal.

yea man you can use that on your 10 when money is a issue the 28w will serve you right to get your feet wet into nano reefing you can keep some softies and mushrooms but you are not likely to see much growth rates from your corals

I ordered the 2x36w because that was more affordable for me. I thought that I only wanted to keep mushrooms and zoo's. Now I'm double guessing myself. What else could I keep under that lighting? I have a 20high.

Honda,

Given the depth of your tank, you could get away with some LPS but they would have to be very close to the surface. I've kept a frogspawn uder that exactly lighting and it did fine.

Archived