ReefCleaners.org

Ocellaris Pair Laid Eggs

US Marine Coral

US Marine Coral

Hi Everyone,

Well as some of you might know, Ericm1205 has gotten me “Hooked on Clowns.” I just started my clownfish breeding system in my basement and my Ocellaris decided to lay a clutch of eggs last night in my 150g reef tank. I have had my pair of clowns for over 2.5 years now. I actually got them locally at That Fish Place in Lancaster as juvis and they have been together since. My daughter, who picked them out, named them Tom and Jerry. Everything was fine and dandy until Jerry became, no offense ladies, bossy, and took on the female role, so we had to change the name to Gerri. They are hosting a plain old long tentacle anemone that spilt back in September, which I traded will a fellow DVRC member.

This is their 3rd clutch. The first two times Tom & Gerri laid eggs, it was against the left overflow so it was going to be difficult to collect them. I let the first batch go and was going to try and collect the second one, but I found a huge turbo snail having a feast on the clutch. I felt pretty helpless and had to do something to try and save the next batch.

So, yesterday I noticed Tom cleaning the same spot, while Gerri was just relaxing in the anemone, typical 

Gerri

width=640 height=426http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/brianw1970/GerandineinAnemone4.jpg[/img]

I asked Eric for some advice. He told me to glue on a piece of tile over the spot, so what the heck, I did it. High and below, after about 30 min of looking like they were pissed, they started picking at the tile. After a few hrs and when the MH lights went off, BAM, Gerri laid a nice clutch right on the tile. It looks even bigger than the last batch. I was thinking of setting up the 5.5g larvae tank and moving the tile over there and blow bubbles on it to imitate Tom fanning them.

Tom

width=640 height=426http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/brianw1970/Tom3.jpg[/img]

And this way no critter can eat the eggs. Not sure if there is anything wrong with this, but I am sure I have read/seen post of other doing this. Anyway here is a pic of the eggs on the tile.

I glued this tile over the spot they laid on before(sorry for dirty glass, I did not want to disturb their "Love Shack"

Tileplacement.jpg

Eggs on the tile

Eggs.jpg

Proud Daddy tending to his duties

Tomwiththeeggs.jpg

Mom coming over to check out Dad's work

TomGerriwithEggsonTile.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

The hardest part will be feeding them once they hatch. You'll need to have all sorts of live foods ready to go.

Lies - Rotifers are the only live feed I use.

Congrats -

If you plan on raising fry you might want to invest in Joyce Wilkinson's book "Clown Fishes"

Best thing you can do is read as much as possible and ask about what you aren't clear on. There is a lot to it. Not knowing what you know or don't know makes it hard to give advise. Do a lot of reading and good luck.

US Marine Coral
Lies - Rotifers are the only live feed I use.

Congrats -

If you plan on raising fry you might want to invest in Joyce Wilkinson's book "Clown Fishes"

Best thing you can do is read as much as possible and ask about what you aren't clear on. There is a lot to it. Not knowing what you know or don't know makes it hard to give advise. Do a lot of reading and good luck.

Tks Pickle. I follow your thread and have Joyce's book and Ericm1205 lives close by and has been giving me lots of advice. I have done a lot of research, but I guess there is no substitute for trial and error. Thanks for the well wishes.

the disease is spreading like wildfire! we need to come up with a disease name for the obsession of clownfish and clownfish breeding. i seemed to be getting blamed alot for getting people hooked on breeding. Brian (us marine coral) is the 3rd guy now who is trying to breed after talking to me.

i better stop cause i dont want to flood the market with clowns to fast and none of us can make money. hehe

hopefully i gave him the right info and i am supplying him with rots and some of my nanno to get him up and started. not sharing my otohime though!! get your own!! haha

basically everything i told him i learned here and he should be good to go. if he gets his fry to hatch and live before i do, im gonna be pissed! he has the books and i sent him to here, mofib and anywhere else i find for him to do recon on breeding ( like the military term i tossed in there? haha).

the disease is spreading like wildfire! we need to come up with a disease name for the obsession of clownfish and clownfish breeding. i seemed to be getting blamed alot for getting people hooked on breeding. Brian (us marine coral) is the 3rd guy now who is trying to breed after talking to me.

i better stop cause i dont want to flood the market with clowns to fast and none of us can make money. hehe

hopefully i gave him the right info and i am supplying him with rots and some of my nanno to get him up and started. not sharing my otohime though!! get your own!! haha

basically everything i told him i learned here and he should be good to go. if he gets his fry to hatch and live before i do, im gonna be pissed! he has the books and i sent him to here, mofib and anywhere else i find for him to do recon on breeding ( like the military term i tossed in there? haha).

TOLD YA keep it a secret eric, dangit....lol j/k ;)

• 2 weeks later...

yes the first few clutches they will sometimes eat the eggs, both good and baron. as with moth things in life it comes with experence. they will get the hang of it usually pretty fast. seems the males need a few clutches under there belt. the first few are generally have poor hatch rates anyways.

it is common for them to eat their eggs and any unfertile eggs the first couple of times.

Archived