Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help for easy upgrade of lighting for 10g

ravenlot

I've been looking through the lighting forums but I'm still kinda lost about what lighting upgrade I should go for.

I have a 10g with JBJ lighting. It has 2x24 PC bulbs. I really want to be able to keep a wider range of corals. Plus I'd like to see some rapid coral growth so I think a lighting upgrade is in order.

I noticed that a lot of people use the 20" 96W CoralLife hoods but I get the impression that this might not be enough for SPS corals and clams. Is that right? I've been researching MH fixtures but it seems that you really have to make a DIY hood to house them.

Can someone tell me - should I just get the 96W PC (or alternative PC fixture) or should I go for the MH. What are my limitations if I just get the 96W PC. If I choose MH, are there any ready MH canopies that you can suggest? If not, can anyone point out some easy DIY instructions to make a MH cannopy of some sort?

BTW, I did see some of the DIY threads where people used a flood light fixture of some sort and wired a MH balast and bulb into it. However, I've never had my hands on a MH balast and bulb so I have no idea exactly how they work or how to wire them up. So, I'm kinda hesitant to take on such a project without detailed instructions on how to do it. I've done DIY projects with computers and other electronic devices but nothing aquarium related.

UPDATE: Just thought about it a little more. What if I get this MH retrofit from hellolights.com http://www.hellolights.com/17methalretk1.html or perhaps this http://store.yahoo.com/lamps-now/17methalbalk.html and make a simple canopy. Then, take out the wiring and lighting from my current hood and replace the bulbs with actinic ones and stick them in the new hood. Is that good? Any suggestions?

I'd recommend you use the (2) 24W with aquatic bulbs and add a 70W HQI.

If you use a HQI MH you'll be able to make/use a shorter canopy. The screw in type is better for the big tanks with tall canopies.

Archived