inTank Media Baskets

** NOW** Live Rock ... about die-off in 12-14hrs

fluval303

I purchased 50 lbs of very live rock and 50 lbs live sand from an established system this morning... it was taken out of the water for the first time about 10am or so... it's almost 10pm now (same day) and i'm splitting the sand and rock into two new 20gal nanos... with new RO water/salt mix. the sand was scooped out at about 1 and transported by bucket with a little water from the tank... it stayed submerged. the rock was transported in buckets also but dry. my plans are to just add a heater and a couple of hob filters temporarily to clear the water. then let it re-cycle. I have heard of dipping the rock in a cpncentrated salt mix will drive the hitch hikers from the rock so i can remove any unwanted life.

My questions are...

1 how much die-off can i expect?

2 should i do anything to the rock before i fill it up?

3 if i should dip the rock... what do i look for to discard. I want to keep any good critters.

4 water changes?? how often?

I just wanna make sure i do this at least semi-correct... I'm hoping that this established rock and sand will cycle quick and preserve the growth.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions. I'm working on it now... so pm me or post if you're reading tonight.. it's about 10pm central time here.

Fluval303

Smokin-Reefer

I wouldn't worry to much about it as far hitchhikers go, If it was from a larger established tank, it's probably ok *I wouldn't loose any sleep over it!* but it will take a couple days at least I'd think to cycle and settle down, maybe less. Just test the water. I don't think die-off will be substantial at all.

hth.

Archived