Cultivated Reef

Are all 6500 k bulbs created equal... from a spectrum point of view?

1fish2fish

Well, the subject pretty much says it all.

Longevity aside, do they all put out the same spectrum of light?

The reason I ask is that I have seen posts for Home Depot curly bulbs (the 6500 k type) and am wondering how the spectrum compares to the typical 6500 k bulb we usually pay big bucks to the pet industry for.

All bulbs are probly not made equal (due to different materials used, sources, etc.) It might be harder to tell from 6500k white bulbs, but if you compare actinics from different companies, you'll defenitely see a difference. I'm pretty sure the HD 6500k curlies are a safe bet to be 6500k, since they come from a pretty reputable source.

I'd be more concerned about the way the PC's configurated. I'm more fond of non-curly PCs, I feel that they take up less space, and have a better output (more of the bulb is facing down, not spiraling around.) I've been getting good results using the HD 27 watt 6700k quad bulb with a 32 watt electronic ballast, on my "low cost" 2.5.

*edit*

Ha Ha, did I really say "configurated?"

Von's new word of the month = CONFIGURATED

Ya, I have a 27 watt quad and a 9 watt over my tank now, but since it is round I have very limited horizontal space to put bulbs I thought I would add a 42 watt curly. The only straight bulb I could put in that spot would be a 13 watt. The extra 42 watts would bring me up to 78 watts ove 113 square inches of water surface. I feel the need for more light because my Ricordia seems to be losing some of it's brightness.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product.php?product=1086

I also plan to make a pico for my desk. I'm looking at between 1 and 2.5 gal I think. I'm thinking that the curlies will let me put more light in the confined space and a reflector should direct most of the light at the tank and I can supliment with a 9 or 13 watt actinic.

Yes, that sounds like a curly will fit your application perfectly. I was thinking it was on a bigger, or longer tank.

As for 2.5 gal lighting, 2 curlies would be good. I was actually looking at extending my canopy a little bit so one side hangs off an inch, so I could fit 2x 28/32 watt PC bulbs on there. In my eyes, thats the most Ideal lighting set-up for a 2.5.

Archived