Top Shelf Aquatics

will mildew smell effect tank?

seaker

I just got new fish and cleaner shrimp? the fridge behind my bar is defrosting and it smells like mildew. will this effect my tank in any way? I don't think there is anything I can do about the smell. what do I do? I don't want my anything to die. Am I stressing out over nothing? thanks for any info.

I would think that they should be ok. In the past I have had mildew and mold grow in lighting hoods and nothing died (I did clean it up when I noticed it of course).

Keep in mind that molds and mildew do give off spores and some of these can be toxic. THis is why it is a good idea to keep your equipment mold free.

whew!!! thanks for easing my mind. everything was perfect til today. then I get the mildew smell and the fan I have blowing to dry it is cooling the tank slightly. I am drip acclimating everything. How long should I do this for? Its been about 2 hours already. I guess I'll give it a couple more. I always get stressed out when I start adding things to the tank. thanks again.

The shrimp would be a greter issue for acclimation. Cleaner shrimp can be a little touchy with big environmental changes. Most fish acclimate fairly easily. Dripping is definitely a good way to go. I asume that you are makeing sure the temperature is acclimating as well?

As for time. It would all depend on the rate of the drip, but being cautious is generally a good thing.

Good luck.

If you are dripping from your tank to a bucket or tot he bags tehn there isn't too much you can do about hte temp. if it's a bucket you could use a heater, but I would say you will be stuck with doing a temp acclimation by floating the bag or a small container in the tank before releasing them into their new home. Temp shock is just as bad as water quality shock. Just make sure that they are within a degree or so of the main tank before releasing them.

Archived