Pod Your Reef

gonoporia

looseyfur

Purchased this at the LFS finally got it looking great. This seems to me to be a pretty advanced thing to keep ... kinda feel like the guy at the LFS should have told me considering I am new to salt.

boggle... anyhow I love it.

looseyfur

I'd really suggest you do a search on goniopora and flower pot (=common name) as these corals are quite hard to keep and usually (90+% of the time...) don't make it.

please do a search and consider trading it in at your lfs for something with a longer life-expectancy ;)

hth

That's actyually Alveopora not Goniopora. Alve's have 12 tentacles per polyp whereas Goni's have 24. Alve's are rumored to be slightly easier to keep but neither type has a good record for captive survival and will usually end up slowly dying.

Yup, that's definitely an alveopora. They are difficult to keep and typically do not fare well in home aquariums. Rumor has it that they like a nutrient rich environment (due to where they are found in the wild), but no one is really sure what they need to live. They generally last 6-12 months.

movingshadow

even fossa & nilsen describe their success with these animals (alve/goni) as "limited" due to there not being enough research and knowledge about them...

Archived