Top Shelf Aquatics

sailfert test question

Marcelo31

On the calcium and alk. test. for salifert.

The final 1 ml syringe of reagent is added to the test vival,

till the color change is made. The instructions then tell you to

flip the syringe over and read the ml. reading in .01 graduations

My question is do you read the amount used or the amount left from the top.

Reading from the top ,and what is left, I got good readings of 425ppm Calcium and a high dkh of 13.8 / alk 4.9...

I'm hoping this readings are correct. The high alk is possible because i was dosing with reef builder and some carbonate hardness powder.I knew better than to add before i tested ......

Still alittle confused on a low ph of 7.8-7.9.

Tank is in it's forth week, amm. cycle is done. And i'm doing 2.5 gal. water changes a week.

If the test are read the other way around i'm in some deep trouble. The coral and macro algae look very good and growing.

Here's what I do: don't worry about 'flipping over' the syringe. just read where the bottom of the plunger ended up and compare to chart.

so lets say on a Calcium test you start off with the bottom of the plunger at 1.00 (a full syringe) and the titration changes color when the bottom of the plunger hits .75; just look at the chart at .75 and you see that calcium is a paltry 125ppm (or 250 if you used the low resolution mode)

Right, you just read the number where you stop. Remember to double your ppm if you used the low resolution test.

Thank you, just alittle confused. Bit iu glad i got those readings

or I and my tank mates would have been in some deep trouble.

Archived