Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

250w or 400w for 20l or 30t

bp_968

I've got a nice stand and hood, and a brand new 20g long and the older 30G (high I guess, same size as 20 long just taller). When I move I am going to set it up but can't decide if I want the 20G long or try to clean the glass up on the 30G high (tons of dead corraline that seems cemented to it. Its crazy how hard it is to get off).

Is a single 250w 10-13k bulb enough for the 20g L or 30g if I want a SPS dominant tank? SPS zoos, and maybe some of those cool flavids.

Or would a (gasp) 400w be better? I'd like to (well, HAVE too) avoid a chiller.

Thanks!

Ben

Why a de bulb? and won't the 20k end up looking very blue? anyone have some photos of a tank lit by a 20k?

BTW, Sig makes great handguns. Too bad half of what you get in California has to be approved by the Nazi counsel of elders.

bp

I dont think you will need a 250 on a 20L. Its only 12 inches high. IM gonna be running a 175 SE 10k and 2 32 watt actinics. Unless you have a chiller or a super ventelated canopy the water will get to hot. Oh yea im also going to be running a PFO pendant to help with the heat that has a built in fan. A 250 will not have better spread just penetrate harder. 12 inches a 175 will hit the bottom hard no problem. I would do a 250 if you were going 20H>

GSXR1000, 20L are long. Thats why most people prefer either a single 250 watt & up, or dual halides. And I'm sorry but a 250 will ultimatly have a better spread cuz you can raise it higher than a 175.

400 is probly out of the question unless you can afford a chiller.

Archived