Cultivated Reef

10g DIY fuge.. looking for help.

Laeelin

I'm in the process of setting up a 10g nano, and I'm thinking of setting up a 10g fuge with it. The main reason for this fuge would be to grow pods to be a main food sorce for the life in the tank. (this will be a god tank)

The 2 10g tanks would be on an even level, and would use one pump to pump water from the main tank into the fuge. From there, I would use 2 siphon pipes to return the water back to the main tank.

In the main tank there would also be a pump near the water surface to stop break the water surface, and in one pump that is pumping from the main tank to the fuge.

My pumps are:

Rio 600 (200gph)

Rio 180 (120gph)

I have a few questions now.

1) Would the 600 from the main tank to the fuge, and then the 180 to break the surface of the main tank be good?

2) Do I need to figure out some way to break the water surface on the fuge? Looking at the DYI designs I didn't really see anything breaking the water surface of the fuge.

My thought is that this way all of the pumping would be done sending water TO the fuge, so that I don't kill the pods when they are sucked into the main tank. This will also give me a great place to hide my heater and ect. and leave me with only the 2 pumps in the main tank (wish I didn't need them in there either)

Suggestions?

oh and here is a quick image of what I'm thinking...

fuge.gif

A = pump

B = siphon pipes (2 in case one becomes clogged)

C = acrylic/glass sheet to break the current and give a slower flow for the pods.

You can do it that way, but i'd suggest relocating the refugium underneath the tank in the tank stand if you can. One extra benefit of having a fuge is that you can grow DOC loving macroalgaes in it (caulerpa species) and by having it located in the tank stand, you can run a light over the fuge 24/7 without disturbing the natural light cycle of the main display tank. This has some really good benefits, in that the DOC algaes can grow like wildfire. It helps stabilize the pH of the system as the algaes burn up carbon dioxide, and it can be done with a little 20 watt strip hood over the fuge.

Food for thought for your pods.

C_Ellenzweig

You could also elevate the fuge behind the main tank. Drill the fuge on the side and use a bulkhead with 90 degree elbow hanging over the main tank. Use one of your pumps to feed water from the main tank into the fuge.

Archived