inTank Media Baskets

macro keeping notes

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

So there are a lot of tips and notes about macros I am sure you come across but wouldn't start a thread about. so here is a good place to post those notes. Not so much questions, but notes. For example:

Botryocladia occidentalis (Red Grape "Caulerpa") handles hypersalinity well if it is brought there slowly. It can withstand SG of 1.040 for a period of days. (again, if brought there slowly)

Botryocladia occidentalis does not handle hyposalinity well at all, with irreversible die off within hours of being placed in a tank with 1.010

you can grow Caulerpa cupressoides var. lycopodium under this light from walmart in a 29 long. keep the bulb it comes with:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEDU-CORP-Low-Pr...1-2-WE/13136590

but it is the 24 inch version, i just couldn't find the link.

ulva spp. tolerate a much broader range of salinity than most I have run into the hobby, with the exception of maybe chaeto.

etc...and then I was thinking at some point we could talk bitts into compiling them into something that made sense.

johnmaloney

would be better if we had others.. ;) They can be easy ones too:

Nitrites, even in high levels have no real noticeable affects on marine algae.

Chaetomorpha crassa is much coarser and more like steel wool in shape than Chaetomorpha linum, the latter may look that way underwater, but loses some shape outside of the tank.

Archived