Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clownfish breeding questions...

nanoty

Yes there are 40 breeding threads and yes I even have my own. I needed to target all the breeders to get some input on a few questions though and when asked in someones thread I generally end up with one, maybe two ideas before its buried.

Enter my dumb breeder question thread. Please give input if you have some especially if you have actual experience in the subject.

1. Those that are breeding, do you paint the bottom of your tanks or leave them transparent and bare?

2. I would like to know the lighting current breeders are using over their tanks.

3. I am considering using a 48" 4 bulb T5 light I already have over one breeding tank. Considering the tank is only 12" high is it going to be too much light and bother the clowns since there is not really anything in the tank to absorb the light, only the clay pot?

4. Would it be a bad idea later if I wanted to use one of the 6 chambers I have to house BTAs? What are the effects on the water quality?

I do have more questions but I have to run and pick up my skimmer. Check back with more later.

Post a pic of your 6 chamber tank please

No 6 chamber tank but I will have two 3 chambered tanks. Pics in my breeding thread and more coming in a second (to the breeding thread).

1. Those that are breeding, do you paint the bottom of your tanks or leave them transparent and bare?

I leave the bottom of the tanks transparent.

2. I would like to know the lighting current breeders are using over their tanks.

Low wattage screw type CF light bulbs, lol. But the color on the onyx pair is deepening and the black is extending through most of the back half of their bodies as opposed to only being half onyx when I got them.

3. I am considering using a 48" 4 bulb T5 light I already have over one breeding tank. Considering the tank is only 12" high is it going to be too much light and bother the clowns since there is not really anything in the tank to absorb the light, only the clay pot?

I don't think it'll bother them, but could you use only two of the bulbs or are they all wired into one switch/plug?

4. Would it be a bad idea later if I wanted to use one of the 6 chambers I have to house BTAs? What are the effects on the water quality?

I dunno.

1 clear

2 T12 bulb over the top tier just light spillage through the bottom of the top tier. I think this is to much light for me and I could use less to cut down on algae growing.

3 clowns wont care but way to much light for me algae will grow faster

4 you can the rtba wont add much more load. What does add bio load is feeding your fish 4 or more times a day. I dont keep coral in mine do to the low salinity I keep them at.

are they all wired into one switch/plug

No they have separate plugs. Only reason I was going to use the 4 bulb is in case I wanted to try a few BTAs, maybe.

1. broodstock or fry tanks? my broodstock tanks are acrylic and the bottoms, back and sides are all black and the tops and from are the only thing clear. if they are clear then i wouldnt bother painting them at all.

2.my lighting is a 48" 4 bulb T5 fixture because i got a rose bta in each chamber with the clowns. i am currently going to go LED in a week or so. i bought a reef angel controller. they control meanwell drivers perfectly. i am getting a LED type disk that houses 7 leds and it will be powerful enough to support any bta or nem. i am getting 8 of them, one for each chamber. my tanks are 14" deep and i can have the leds 12" above the water. i like my T5 fixture alot, but its big and i got to move it every time i need to get into the tanks. and i am gonna need another fixture, so i would rather spend that $200 on leds. use less power and space for more power.

if you want a T5 fixture. current sells their NEP refurb fixtures on ebay pretty cheap.

3.mine is petty bright with 4 bulbs. it doesnt bother them if youes is ony 12" i think you can use a 2 bulb fixture and still have more than enough light to support a nem in each chamber.

4. my nems are not really affected by the heavy feeding. i actually was considering the same thing you were and keep a chamber empty and use it to grow nems to make some money that way too.

1. broodstock or fry tanks? my broodstock tanks are acrylic and the bottoms, back and sides are all black and the tops and from are the only thing clear. if they are clear then i wouldnt bother painting them at all.

2.my lighting is a 48" 4 bulb T5 fixture because i got a rose bta in each chamber with the clowns. i am currently going to go LED in a week or so. i bought a reef angel controller. they control meanwell drivers perfectly. i am getting a LED type disk that houses 7 leds and it will be powerful enough to support any bta or nem. i am getting 8 of them, one for each chamber. my tanks are 14" deep and i can have the leds 12" above the water. i like my T5 fixture alot, but its big and i got to move it every time i need to get into the tanks. and i am gonna need another fixture, so i would rather spend that $200 on leds. use less power and space for more power.

if you want a T5 fixture. current sells their NEP refurb fixtures on ebay pretty cheap.

3.mine is petty bright with 4 bulbs. it doesnt bother them if youes is ony 12" i think you can use a 2 bulb fixture and still have more than enough light to support a nem in each chamber.

4. my nems are not really affected by the heavy feeding. i actually was considering the same thing you were and keep a chamber empty and use it to grow nems to make some money that way too.

Thanks for the ideas. These are broodstock tanks.

Sooooo, as you may have guessed I am working on getting this setup done but as usual things move slow in the Bordelon household. I prefer to wait until the clowns are permanently housed to get things started but should I be conditioning them now? It is difficult to keep up with 4 different tanks as far as keeping them up to proper conditions. I would like to keep them as they are until the time comes when they are moved to a permanent home.

I've kept 3 pairs in 3 individual 20 breeders for over a year - larger water changes and slightly more attention have been key. A big ball-O-cheato in each tank doesn't seem to hurt either. i could easily manage a couple more tanks. Any more than that and it would be too much.

• 4 weeks later...
I've kept 3 pairs in 3 individual 20 breeders for over a year - larger water changes and slightly more attention have been key. A big ball-O-cheato in each tank doesn't seem to hurt either. i could easily manage a couple more tanks. Any more than that and it would be too much.

Pickle, do you mean 6 clowns in one single 20 gallon with no HOB filter and no live rock? Just a ball of cheato? Or did I read that wrong? it does say 3 pairs in 3 individual tanks so not sure what you meant.

Just curious. And was it more than one water change per week?

Pickle, do you mean 6 clowns in one single 20 gallon with no HOB filter and no live rock? Just a ball of cheato? Or did I read that wrong? it does say 3 pairs in 3 individual tanks so not sure what you meant.

Just curious. And was it more than one water change per week?

It's 3 individual 20g highs with LR / Cheato and a Koralia 2 - 1 pair per tank - water changes on my active laying pairs are constant - one pair isn't laying so theirs is weekly.

It's 3 individual 20g highs with LR / Cheato and a Koralia 2 - 1 pair per tank - water changes on my active laying pairs are constant - one pair isn't laying so theirs is weekly.

what he said^^^^^

Archived