ReefCleaners.org

Led Options under $500

c-bskt

Im looking at different lighting options for my 24in. cube, I've looked at Maxspect, Ecoxotic, Boostled etc. Im trying to stay around $500 total for the fixture, What options do I have for this size tank and What brand do you prefer??

saltwatercoral

I agree, the SOL BLUE LED LIGHTING is the best for your tank. I just purchased the marineland 45gallon cube (24x24x18) and I my self was looking for the right led lights. Last night I just put my order in for the SOL BLUE LED LIGHTING. It's $550 and I recommend getting a celing mount kit as the light it puts out is incredible! On auto mode it simulates sun rise to full sun to sunset to night. You can customize the brightness for each Cree led from 1 (low) to full (100). I was told to get 1 12inch panel and raise it about 18 inches off the surface for it to cover a 24x24 area. You can also buy 70 degree optics and swap to 40 degree ones off! I don't work or have anything to do with this company (AI) but there SOL BLUE LED Fixture is the best for the money hands down! You can grow anything from softies to clams! I can't wait till it comes in. It will be the end of the month when I get it!!!!

saltwatercoral

That would be corect Sir! You can get 2 with 70 degree optics from AI to make the coverage better. I would stick with the 40 degree optics first. If you still need 70 degree after using them, then call up AI and get them!

MrAwesomeSquared
I agree, the SOL BLUE LED LIGHTING is the best for your tank. I just purchased the marineland 45gallon cube (24x24x18) and I my self was looking for the right led lights. Last night I just put my order in for the SOL BLUE LED LIGHTING. It's $550 and I recommend getting a celing mount kit as the light it puts out is incredible! On auto mode it simulates sun rise to full sun to sunset to night. You can customize the brightness for each Cree led from 1 (low) to full (100). I was told to get 1 12inch panel and raise it about 18 inches off the surface for it to cover a 24x24 area. You can also buy 70 degree optics and swap to 40 degree ones off! I don't work or have anything to do with this company (AI) but there SOL BLUE LED Fixture is the best for the money hands down! You can grow anything from softies to clams! I can't wait till it comes in. It will be the end of the month when I get it!!!!

Any idea what size fixture would be necessary for a 40 breeder, and at what height for optimal coverage?

Well I bounced back and fourth on this myself. My current light fixture has been acting up severely and I have been researching LED fixtures. I looked at several options and ended up going with the Ecoxotic Panorama for my tank. I ordered it last night and it will arrive next week. I ultimately went with this fixture because it can be modified and all of the parts are readily available. It also has no fan so it will make no noise. Unfortunately there was no literature out there on the AI fixtures that I could find except for on these forums. I do like the features of the AI fixtures. I wish the Ecoxotic was dimmible but I will not lose any sleep over it. If the fish and corals get pissed, so be it!

I placed a call to Boost LED and they by far had the best customer service. They showed nothing in stock on their website and I told them that I was in a bind. They called around and located a light but I had already decided to go with the Ecoxotic. I was very impressed with their customer service.

Im planning on a mixed reef. It's going to have a little bit of everything, (monti's, acros, acans, zoas, trachyphyllias, etc....)

I have looked at the AI fixture and I really want it but It would take me a few extra weeks to come up with the extra money. Would one be enough for a sps 24In. cube?

saltwatercoral

OK??? But for less you get more with the Aqua Illumination SOL Blue. hink about it, the Ecoxotic Panorama is nice but for $100 clams less you can get a led lighting sys that is fully dimable with each individual LED as well as a setup that mimics the sun with the sunrise, sunset and night lights all by itself. If you have company coming over and want to impress them you can put this sucker on 0% White and 100% Blue and 100% Royal Blue and your corals will look like they have black lights hitting them from every angle. Im not knocking the Ecoxotic ligths, they are one on the top led makers in the system but for the price, and custimazation.... Aqua Illumination SOL Blue is the way to go!!! Check out the link I have and see for your self!

Yes 1 is what I ordered for my 24x24x18 (45 gallon) Just mount it about 18-24 inches off of the water

Its all about what you like.

The other thing I did not mention is that I wanted a black fixture to match my set up. I paid $550 my Panorama. I paid a little extra to have it shipped sooner but that was on me. I then ordered a second stunner strip today to add a little more blue shimmer to the tank. I am going to use my existing LED lunar lights that I already have. The Panorama will also work with my existing hanging mount utilizing the four holes on top.

As far as company goes, most of them have no clue about fish tanks much less the lighting. I will bring them into my home theater if I want to impress!

the SOL blue is probably the best option unless your a DIYer. You could make a better light for 500$ using LED's. There is also the ecoxotic Cannon LED pendant its a single 50 watt Multichip LED.

Lol it sounds like you do have a nice setup, including the theater room! To each his own!

God is good my friend!

It is almost done. I still need to do a little bit of cabinetry and possibly change out the fabric color on the acoustical panels. If it were not for this aquarium, it would probably be done.

I told myself I would never get another saltwater aquarium again and here I am. These things are a money pit!

I actually wish that AI did a better job advertising. I honestly never heard of this fixture before reading this thread. I searched on the net for over a month and never stumbled across their site. I just wish they offered it in more colors than white. That just sticks out to me. But then again, that's just me. I've seen people living in shacks that have a $5,000 aquarium!

DSC_3011.jpg

DSC_3010.jpg

DSC_3013.jpg

36'' x 18'' x 16''

2x AI Sol Blues.

48'' Would probably require three. If you're going to do it, do it right.

Excuse the phone quality, but was taking fast for demo purposes:

FTS.jpg

saltwatercoral

Those AI's are sick! I can't wait for them to come in!!!! I just got my new sump, protein skimmer, pump and power head! I can't wait. Ill post some pics soon!

Damn you guys! The more I am a reading about these AI fixtures, the more I am second guessing my purchase. It also looks like the fixture could possibly be painted. The control options on it are crazy.

The AI are more pricey but imo worth it. the 3w leds really make the reef grow and pop. evolution and reefkoi have some nice led fixtures too.

The AI are very nice units. The other ones mentioned I have never seen in person so I can't comment on them. This is what I when with.

EshineLED.jpg

3 watt Cree LED's that are dimmable, large heat sink and fans. Oh yeah and they cost me half of what the AI units cost. What more info check my build thread.

saltwatercoral

Alright peeps, this is what I just purchased today for my 45 gallon marineland cube (24x24x18):

Here are some more shots

post-56186-1299367893_thumb.jpg

post-56186-1299367904_thumb.jpg

post-56186-1299367963_thumb.jpg

post-56186-1299367969_thumb.jpg

post-56186-1299367983_thumb.jpg

post-56186-1299367994_thumb.jpg

Archived