Pod Your Reef

Macroalgae ID

dlplunkett44

dlplunkett44

I just started my first SW tank a couple months ago. I bought some cultured live rock from Florida, and it came will several different types of macroalgae. What types of algae are these? Are they beneficial? Are any of them bad? I have a Rainford's Goby in the tank. I know they like filamentous algae, but I don't know what this is exactly. Could someone post a picture of it. Here are the pics for ID:post-62351-1299117024_thumb.jpgpost-62351-1299117036_thumb.jpg

There is also a type of fan worm. Is this a bad species?

post-62351-1299117162_thumb.jpg

I just started my first SW tank a couple months ago. I bought some cultured live rock from Florida, and it came will several different types of macroalgae. What types of algae are these? Are they beneficial? Are any of them bad? I have a Rainford's Goby in the tank. I know they like filamentous algae, but I don't know what this is exactly. Could someone post a picture of it. Here are the pics for ID:post-62351-1299117024_thumb.jpgpost-62351-1299117036_thumb.jpg

There is also a type of fan worm. Is this a bad species?

post-62351-1299117162_thumb.jpg

nice find!

nemoris and laurencia.

carbon-mantis

Can't see clearly enough, but it doesn't look like neomeris(no calcified base). There are a few types out there that look similar, LFS had some they called "fern algae" or something like that. Can't remember the genus at the moment though.

dlplunkett44

It looks basically the same.

I can bend it a little, but then it breaks. If I break it, it has the same color all the way through it.

Archived