ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish laid eggs!

YOKeReef

why are you doing a water change every 4 hours? in the 10g that you put the clowns in, does it have a filter and a pump? if so you dont need to change the water that often.

I am doing Wc every four hours to ensure the water quality. Yes I have hang on marine-land without the cartridge but has the bio wheel. Which i think is all I need. But the bio wheel hasn't been used in months. It needs to be broken in. Plus Im doing Wc to ensure the stabilty with the pair. I feel since they have Frogspawn+Each Other+Great Food+Same water=Same Life. I def did freak when they had their eggs. BUt which is a big but. My tangs were eating the eggs. A lil but were. The clowns aren't big enough for my 5 in"Big Blue" Tang and my "Lil Blue" tang 2.5 in is fast. Now they are happy in a bare bottom 10 with their frogspawn.

Today they have spent all day cleaning only leaving the frogspawn to check out one side were I have put up Black cardboard paper. Im trying to make them feel seclude and SAfe. Time will tell if I have messed up their breeding cycle. Laid on Monday first Ever........

What will the babies be. Onyx ???

Babies will not be onyx - possibly some sort of mocha color like the Snow in my sig

I would def pleased to look like those fish. What makes a onyx? Do you have clowns for sale also ?

Your clown might end up either a Mocha clown or a Caramel clown. Mocha is orange with a lot of black and Caramel is just a brown clown, which IMO isn't very attractive. The offspring will be mixed.

Mocha

13753_6.JPG

Caramel

caramel_lg.jpg

The Mocha looks very similar to an Onyx Perc. :)

Your clown might end up either a Mocha clown or a Caramel clown. Mocha is orange with a lot of black and Caramel is just a brown clown, which IMO isn't very attractive. The offspring will be mixed.

Mocha

13753_6.JPG

Caramel

caramel_lg.jpg

The Mocha looks very similar to an Onyx Perc. :)

I def Like the Mocha. The Caramel is def not pretty. But I am interested in the mix breeding to make a amazing fish. Has anyone seen the Papua new guinea Clown ? My Lfs has them and a beautiful Picasso Grade A for 200. He is over a 1in and half but what should I breed him with ? Another Picasso I just make cool Picasso.

Day 8

Will the lay tonight ? She looks pretty happy. But my two tangs watch in envy of them to their own tank. Tangs are def smart. When I move the eggs to their new tank. How fast should I have the bubbles coming out to keep them with oxygen ? I have read on pickles forum about fatter bubbles. What if the bubbles get trapped around the eggs ? will they die ?

Day 8

Will the lay tonight ? She looks pretty happy. But my two tangs watch in envy of them to their own tank. Tangs are def smart. When I move the eggs to their new tank. How fast should I have the bubbles coming out to keep them with oxygen ? I have read on pickles forum about fatter bubbles. What if the bubbles get trapped around the eggs ? will they die ?

I'm cunfused by the question - will they lay? If you are waiting for the pair to lay then there is no telling. Typically when you move a pair it will disrupt the breeding pattern, which yours have yet to establish. So no one can tell when your fish will lay, you will just need to be patient. Once they are in a routine you will be better able to determine that timeframe and even then - changes like temps or other conditions can change the timeframe as well.

Bubbles? Again confused - you do not need to put air on the eggs directly if the pair is still with the eggs. Pulling the eggs any sooner than absolutely needed subjects you to many risks including fungus and improper air flow will kill the eggs. I do not recommend pulling the eggs until the day of hatch or even leaving the eggs to hatch and pulling them from the parent tank that evening.

Once you are ready to pull a pot for hatch and the eggs are away from the parents - I would recommend a 4" air stone set to provide a good stream of air over the eggs. And yes if the bubbles are too fine they will get trapped between the eggs and kill the eggs as well.

Archived