Pod Your Reef

225 Gallon DIY LED Tank BUILD NEED HELP 5'X3'X2'

themastr

Hello,

So I finally saved enough money and got the approval from the wife to build me a DIY LED Fixture. (took about year and a half) :D

Specs of the tank

5ft long X 3 ft wide X 2 ft deep approx 225 gallon

Planning to keep SPS & LPS Or whatever I find in the future LOL

Can mount the lights any height no restrictions

So far I bought 4 used heatsinks from Ebay which measures 20"X14"X1.5"

total heatsink is going to be 40" long X 28 wide X 1.5" height" (industrial grade aluminum heatsink which weights in at 60 lbs) Heavy

So far for LED I need the total amount I will need and will place them this week with www.ledgroupbuy.com

Cree XP-G Cool White - 112 (not sure if I need more)

Cree XP-E Royal Blue - 168 (not sure If I need more)

Cree XP-G Neutral White R3 - 28 (Not sure how many????)

Cree XP-E Blue - 24 (Mainly for moonlights with no optics)

All will have a 60 degree optic unless somebody has a better angle to choose.

I am going to go with TRP Drivers but need help choosing them too. I was looking for dimmable (0-10v)

Was looking at the dimmable 200 watt , 700 mA, 143-285 VDC , model TRC-200S070DT.

http://www.thomasresearchproducts.com/2010...ies09-06-10.pdf

Will this work or over kill?

I want 90 X Cool White off 1 driver @ 700ma

1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 driver @ 700ma

1 X 84 Royal Blue off 1 Driver @ 700ma

28 NW + 22 CW off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be the 150 W Dimmable)

run all the Blue "(moonlight) off 1 driver @ 700ma (I think this needs to be 75W Dimmable)

i think that will make sense. ??? anyone want to tell me a better way I'm all for it.

I'm am not a Guru or anything but have good soldering skills and took this along time ago in school. Hope someone can help me out. Also let me know if I need more LEDS, Drivers, etc etc. Researched and never found one this big so this is all new to me.

Thanks again and I will keep you posted

erick

with strings of 84, if you have a single bad led, you're going to have a real pain in the ass. and tapping and threading that many holes. good luck brah

I was gonna hire a company to tap all the holes cause I don't want to permanently epoxy for that reason.

this way if one screws up I can remove and replace.

thanks

erick

with strings of 84, if you have a single bad led, you're going to have a real pain in the ass. and tapping and threading that many holes. good luck brah

well lets see. do you has 220v in your house? those ballasts are 220v according to their specs. and how closely are you grouping them, your heatsink might not be able to take it. your numbers seem a bit excessive but if you can dim then, why not?

leds are pretty straight forward, its designing air flow thats problematic

Thanks Supernip

The ballast I thought were rated properly. I think they are

Input Voltage Range: 90 - 305 VAC, 47 to 63 Hz So doesn't that mean I can run 120 v @ 60 hz? Let me know

Also I can add a fan on the heatsink if need be I will post a picture of the heatsink

4 X Aluminum Heat Sink

Approximate Dimensions: 20" x 14" x 1 3/8"

43 Dissipating Heat Fins

Some Holes And Indent For Mounting Components

Used

Normal Wear From Normal Use

2 Fins Are Slightly Bent On End

What Is Pictured Is What You Will Receive

So I will put them 2 inch on center away from each other so from 40" X 28" ( i figured 20 LEDs across by 14 LEDs wide) therefor 20 multiply 14 is 280 LEDS I will randomly place the other 24 blue moonlights somehow and add the NW in somewhere with the CW. I will be dimming with either a PLC or an APEX (have ACIII now but no 0-10v dimming)

not sure how much heat heatsink will take but i thought mass plays a factor and the 4 heatsinks weighs in at 60 lbs and that's aluminum. I will also add a huge low rpm fan on the top to cool abit. Also this will be an open top canopy. floating above the tank

thanks again supernip let me know what you think

thanks

erick

post-52374-1299035180_thumb.jpg heatsink

post-52374-1299035190_thumb.jpg heatsink

Archived