Cultivated Reef

Star Polyps

ReeferMonkey

So we all know that GSP is an acceptable low-light coral, but what about putting it in high-light situations? I'm thinking of upgrading to a 70w halide and have a piece of GSP in a relatively high position. Borneman indicates they are highly photoadaptive. Is there anyone keeping them in a similar condition?

In my large reef I have bright green stars under directly almost 400 watts and they thrive. However anytime you upgrade your lighting you should acclimate all corals if possible. My lights hang from a pendent so when I incerased my wattage I started off by keeping them high up and slowly lowered them. I realize this may not be possible if your lights are built into your hood but if you can it's a good idea. In any case stares are tough.

Awesome, thanks for the input Arden. If I do upgrade to a halide I will acclimate the livestock by slowly scaling up the photoperiod of the halide, I think that should do it.

yea, i'm curious about that too. at the LFS the other day, I saw some BRIGHT green star polyps. these things were glowing they were so bright. totally gave me GSP envy, because mine are more of a brownish green.

but, when i got mine, they were barely under any light at the LFS. they were in a halide lit tank, but they were under shade on the far right. since i've taken them and put them directly under my PC's at the top of the tank, they have gotten a little greener. i'm assuming they will never be that bright glowing green though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have some BRIGHT green gsp in my nano under a combo of flourescent and pcs and they are every bit as colorful as the parent colony. as far as photo adapting your corals leave the photoperiod alone and get some kitchen wax paper, put several sheets between the light and the tank and remove them slowly over several weeks.

Archived