SaltCritters.com

Pregnant Danio

loveforfish

I was moving my 30gal tank to a new location in the house today and while draining half the water and watching things carefully I noticed one of my zebra danios belly was very swelled up. It was in the morning and they had nothing to eat so I know he wasn't just full. I thought for a minute she might be sick or balloted but she swam fine with the rest of the fish and still looks clean and healthy.

The tank has about 6 danios, 8 rasboras, a couple rosy barbs and 1 big anglefish. I know nothing about fish breeding except for the fact the fry will not survive in a community tank full of other fish and that you need to separate them. While I was draining the tank the pregnant danio got sucked through the hose into the bucket, I don't believe it was injured because the hose is 1'' and could fit a few of them. anyway I had a spare 10gal layin around so I set it up with some gravel and a few fake plants from the other tank to separate it from the other fish but make it feel safe still. I did not add a filter because I fear the fry would be sucked up if I'm not there when they come out. Right now I just have the heater and an airstone at the bottom to keep some circulation and oxygen in the water. Unfortunately she seems to be swimming around frantic in the tank still after about 8 hours. I'm just looking for advice on how to keep her in a good environment to feel safe and successfully have babies. Should I move her back to the main tank but keep her in one of those fish bredding nets?

I'm still doing a lot of searching and research on other forums but If anyone has any quick advice to help me I would appreciate it

I was moving my 30gal tank to a new location in the house today and while draining half the water and watching things carefully I noticed one of my zebra danios belly was very swelled up. It was in the morning and they had nothing to eat so I know he wasn't just full. I thought for a minute she might be sick or balloted but she swam fine with the rest of the fish and still looks clean and healthy.

The tank has about 6 danios, 8 rasboras, a couple rosy barbs and 1 big anglefish. I know nothing about fish breeding except for the fact the fry will not survive in a community tank full of other fish and that you need to separate them. While I was draining the tank the pregnant danio got sucked through the hose into the bucket, I don't believe it was injured because the hose is 1'' and could fit a few of them. anyway I had a spare 10gal layin around so I set it up with some gravel and a few fake plants from the other tank to separate it from the other fish but make it feel safe still. I did not add a filter because I fear the fry would be sucked up if I'm not there when they come out. Right now I just have the heater and an airstone at the bottom to keep some circulation and oxygen in the water. Unfortunately she seems to be swimming around frantic in the tank still after about 8 hours. I'm just looking for advice on how to keep her in a good environment to feel safe and successfully have babies. Should I move her

back to the main tank but keep her in one of those fish bredding nets?

I'm still doing a lot of searching and research on other forums but If anyone has any quick advice to help me I would appreciate it

Yes no babies can be raised in the main tank they wi be eatin by the barbs. If the female Danio is hurt you would have noticed it in the bucket. That is a good setup but a good ole sponge filter is a nessestiy. Since you didn't not cycle the tank there could be stray ammonia in it that would cause her to be frantic. I would suggest getting FW salt and using it in there to get rid of the ammonia if you hav it.

Once she has her babies (you will be able to tell) you need to move her back to the main tank because there is a chance she may eat them. Raising Danios is pretty challenging so I suggest you reasherch a Bunshaft before trying this task.

HTH, MD

PS Squared I don't like to be called a FW nerd. :P

Thanks, helpful advice.

When you mean FW salt I assume you mean like marine salt mix? I have red sea salt but I have never heard of a fresh water salt.

Thanks again and i will do a lot of research right away

Thanks, helpful advice.

When you mean FW salt I assume you mean like marine salt mix? I have red sea salt but I have never heard of a fresh water salt.

Thanks again and i will do a lot of research right away

That's what we are here for

Have you seen your post lately? All you talk about its PH this, Alk that and some nitrites here and some phosphate there. What can be more NERD than Chemistry?

FW forum would be the way to go...

And we call you #####

Why thanks Greenstar.

Have you seen your post lately? All you talk about its PH this, Alk that and some nitrites here and some phosphate there. What can be more NERD than Chemistry?

FW forum would be the way to go...

Yes FW sites will give you the best answer. I really dont know much about Diano's cause all I did was breed bettas.

Archived