Coral Vue Hydros

girlfriends cleaner shrimp had a million babies!!

mxpro32

we noticed her shrimp was carrying a whole bunch of green eggs when we bought it and tonight it released a million little babies. it was so cool. they all gathered at the top by the light in a swarm that looked like a bunch of nats. i took my old five gallon to her house and i scooped up as much of the babies as i could and put them in there. i got a whole bunch of healthy ones in there. tomorrow im gonna see if i can find some brine shrimp eggs and hopefully hatch them out in time. anyone have any hints for raising them? thanks

Unfourtuantly raising cleaner shrimp babies is not usually possible in a home aquarium. The babies need a high amount of nutrients which even the largest aquariums avaible to us can not produce. Most only leave up to a few weeks.

tonight the shrimp released hundreds more baby shrimp. i scooped them up and put them in the "crib" too. there are so many in there now. i bought brine shrimp eggs so hopefully they hatch soon. i know the babies probably wont live long but it will be fun trying.

A few hours after I bought my cleaner shrimo, she released hundreds of eggs into the tank. Back then my tank was very fresh.

I called up the LFS right away but they said theres no chance of even one surviving. And they said that even if one did survive...it wont make it past the first molt. Anyway, they were right. I also did scoop up lots in a fine mesh net and tried to keep them in that. But most died anyway. I gave up in the end.

I didnt get one cleaner shrimp from those babies.???

NanoReefer53

are they really that hard to keep because my uncle's cleaner shrimp released a bunch of shrimp & he actually collected a lot of them that were swimming around before the fish ate most of them. They're now in a 5g tank swimming around.

all of ours are still alive and well. the brine shrimp hatched this morning and im pretty sure the baby shrimp were eating them. we still have hundreds that are alive and energetic. only a few are dead at the bottom. im gonna try to keep the water quality good by doing water changes with a turkey baster to avoid scooping up the babies. we have them in my old five gallon tank with a bubble stone in a clear tube thingy for circulation. anyone have any more tips?

maybe put a little peice of live rock in there to see if it provides some food for the shrimp?????????

just letting everyone know our baby shrimp are doing very well. almost all of them are alive and thriving. they have turned an orange color and appear to be bigger. i set up a brine shrimp hatchery and bought some nutrion enhancer for the brine shrimp. this is fun i hope some make it.

I hope you're keeping a log of what you're doing and what all your tank parameters are... sooner or later, someone's going to figure out how to raise cleaner shrimp in captivity, and any info about what did or didn't work should be useful.

NanoReefer53

pics pics ! me want pics !

are u sure they're eating baby brine shrimp though ? i always thought u should feed them something like live phytoplankton or something (DT's)

Yeah, I am with 53, PICTURES! And for food for something that small, I was thinking more along the lines of phytoplankton...

gaber

i can see the baby cleaners latch onto the brine and start spinning around like they are eating them. i will take pics as soon as i find the battery charger for my hi-res digital camera. i dont think my low-res camera will take good enough pics. you are supposed to feed them newly hatched brine shrimp but how do i get the not-so-newly-hatched brine out? hmm. im thinking maybe a turkey baster. i could use it to clean the bottom too and do a water change.

Archived