Innovative Marine Aquariums

Newbie equiptment questions...

theFinn

I've had a freshwater aquarium for some time and really enjoyed it. However, I've always wanted to saltwater tank they're just so much more colorful and eye catching.

Space in my house is at a major premium so I'm want to go with a rather small nano-reef setup. Most likely a 5 to 7 gallon bow-front tank. However, I'm a little confused by everything. I've read all the articles on this site but I'm still unsure of exactly what I need.

Obviously I need a tank, heater, live sand, live rock, and salt mixture.

Do I need a filter? From what I've read a filter isn't needed, the live rock will do the nitrification, am I correct in this assumption? The tank is going to be in my bed room so the quieter the better, if I can do without a filter that'd be great.

Powerhead. I need this for circulation correct? what's the best brand and how powerful one will I need for a little 5 gallon?

Lastly, lighting. Obviously the stock lighting that comes with a 5 gallon bow-front is going to be meant for freshwater and fish and not really suited for corals and such. What am I going to need for lighting and what's the best brand?

Is there anything I'm missing? I read all this stuff about protein skimmers, refugiums, etc etc and get all confuzzled...

Alright. Once I've got equipment sorted I put in the live rock and sand, fill it with salt water at the right specific gravity and let it run right? The live rock and sand will get the cycle going and sort itself out?

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

First things first.  All that stuff you know about freshwater?  Forget it.  Reefing is a whole different beast.

Right, gone...hope my fish don't die ;)

I would look over some of the very informative articles that are on this site and get an idea of what you want to do.

I've read most of the articals on this site, and I know basically what I want to do. I really like the idea of a 'god tank' and will probably go that direction. Although the info on this site is good it's not really that in-depth in regard to exactly what equipment needed, thus this topic.

I would advise against a 5 bow as they are crap and too small for a beginner.  I would recommend a 7 bow or a 10 as they are glass (won't scratch), easy to find retrofits for and will give you plent of room and water.

Fair enough. I don't really want to go bigger then the 7. I don't think a 10 will fit where I plan on putting the tank.

Archived