Pod Your Reef

Zoas Disintegrated What the F

pschom

Why would only a certain type of zoa/paly disintegrate and not another? Is it possible that something is eating them cause they taste better than the others? Watermelons seem fine and are spreading. I don't see any Nudis. There was a colony of brown/yellow zoas that are now only 3-4. I did have a Nitrate spike, but the other zoas look ok. Thx

You should have done a lugol's dip on them, I do it on all my Zoas.

Just add lugol's til the water turns light brown then dip for 4 minutes.

I thought you died or something lol

a few of mine did the same. i had them at about mid-tank level. i moved them down to the sandbed. i also noticed that my calcium level was consistently measuring low. i started dosing calcium and they seem to be doing much better now.

I was thinking about this. I noticed the Nitrate spike, then made water, then mixed and heated water and change around 50%. Is it possible that a major change in pH or the addition of that much new water could make zoas die?

I took a look at the zoas before calling it a night and saw a sexy shrimp eating one! Is this normal? I have seen that one picking a frogspawn in the past. Should I can the sexy shrimp?

Ok I have figured it out. It's not the sexy shrimp...ITS PODS lots and lots of pods. Omg my skin crawled with all the pods. I had a mandarin a while back and started dumping bags of copapods but these are massive amphipods. One was inside it. I'll post a pic tomorrow. I will get a sixline tomorrow and hope that will cure this issue. I would have never guessed had it not been for the late night.

Ok I have figured it out. It's not the sexy shrimp...ITS PODS lots and lots of pods. Omg my skin crawled with all the pods. I had a mandarin a while back and started dumping bags of copapods but these are massive amphipods. One was inside it. I'll post a pic tomorrow. I will get a sixline tomorrow and hope that will cure this issue. I would have never guessed had it not been for the late night.

I'd believe it man. I had these HUGE orange ones that were bugging the snot out of mine. I did a FW did and an explosion of these giant ones busted off. Ever since they look great. Some people swear they don't hurt anything but I am convinced once they left the LFS, they had no predatory fish after them so they started to get brave and go to town. The tank they were in had like 5 different wrasses and dragonettes.

Update on this: the blenny took one look at the zoa area and started feasting all over it. He's having a field day all over those nearby rocks.

OK here is my crappy iPhone 4 pic with flash. I enhanced as much as I could with Photoshop. Look at the brighter aquare area. Make out the curved shapes with little lines. Those are the Amphipods. I guess it's possible that these zoas were not doing well and then the pods started eating them, but they appeared to be fine one day, gone the next. Anyway, pic...

post-58169-1298850291_thumb.jpg

i thought it was pods too. when i lost a few zoas, i'd see them all over the remains.. but i'm not entirely sure that they're the source of the zoa's demise..

i LOVE to watch my tank. i'll post up against the glass and just observe for hours. i see pods running around even when the lights are on. but they're never ON any of the [healthy] zoas. so i don't think they eat zoas - they probably just clean up after it melts or whatever. (i've read that zoas can be very finicky so maybe the change in parameters is what caused them to die.)

Ive got a tank FULL and I mean FULL of those half inch amphipods. They crawl all over everything, at night, but dont seem to cause any problems at all. I keep a CLOSE eye on the corals in this tank as they are my "high end" corals. Ive yet to see a single polyp look upset. I think the pods just clean up whatever is around the corals which is a good thing I believe. I only have one fish, a tailspot blenny, so they have nothing to fear but themselves. (They have pod fights every night!).

I also have long bristleworms that also hurt nothing. I think people freak over nothing and look for something to blame. I have NO idea what these pods eat to stay that large, but its not the corals. (I feed herbivore food to the blenny). I do have a sexy shrimp in there that gets some pellets, so maybe they are getting pellets that he leaves.

Matt

Lol 'pod fights' well I think the blenny is eating them, but they were out again last night Big as ever. I guess if the zoas were bad then they needed to go. Watermelons still look good and the pods weren't on them last night.

I am convinced those pods eat zoas ...caught them before going for completly healthy once ..it comes in spurs ..I hate them...they love my candy apple reds and spartan prides ...

I had a similar thing happen to my zoas, especially with the pods. i did a dip and moved them to a slightly lower lighted spot and they seem to be doing better. they are actually open now and i havent seen any more mat loss. theyre not THRIVING mind you but at least theyre not melting either. I have noticed that the pods I thought were killing my zoas are still there, but theyre not bugging the zoas, leading me to believe the pods are responding to a problem rather than creating it.

I have noticed that the pods I thought were killing my zoas are still there, but theyre not bugging the zoas, leading me to believe the pods are responding to a problem rather than creating it.

+1 i lost 2 small colonies of rather inexpensive corals.. But 1 of them was through shipping, the other one appeared to be light.. i have adjusted and moved the coral higher.. There is 2-3 polyps struggling to make it.. i hope they do because they are beautiful

Archived